First ever motorist convicted for 'lane hogging'

Caporegime
I had people flashing me this morning as i was "sat" in the middle lane.
What's annoying is that i was doing 72Mph (Cruise control) and i was actually overtaking slower cars, But they were spaced apart well...

You don't drive up my arse doing 80+ and moan at me!

So for the majority of the time you weren't actually overtaking anyone

Soldato

It is a little subjective though of whether the inside cars are close enough together or not to warrant keep pulling in and out.

It's not really the issue of 'lane hogging' though, which is usually fairly obvious....1 car in the middle lane and nothing visible in the inside lane.

Caporegime
So many on the M5 and M4 one the way back from Cornwall. It was ridiculous.

Also saw 2 people that used the right-hand lane by default until someone came up behind them, they'd pull to the middle lane to let them past then move to the right-hand lane again regardless of whether they were overtaking or not... wth?

If there's people in the inside lane and I'm riding "briskly" I always tend to go to the outside lane so that there's a lanes buffer in between us for when one of them pulls out without looking.

rpg

rpg

Associate

Exactly - and I'd imagine for most competent road users, flashing the car in front is a last resort. He even said "people" implying there was more than one driver who flashed him. Classic defiant vigilante attitude also; trying to "teach" other road users a lesson when in fact they're the danger.

Let's hope he's the next example.

Associate
they are called overtaking lanes. if you're not over taking, stay out. you wouldn't stay in the lane of oncoming traffic if you were overtaking on a normal carriageway so don't on the damn motorways.

Associate
you should probably get one of those signs saying "baby on board" or something like that to inform other drivers! :roll eyes:

or take the train.

What is the sourcery? A sign saying baby on baord while your baby is on board, what will they think of next?

I have one and it does not change the driving style of morons.

Last edited:
Soldato
you should probably get one of those signs saying "baby on board" or something like that to inform other drivers! :roll eyes:

or take the train.

These are so nice, they really calm me down and make me think about my actions!

Aren't they there to warn other drivers that the parent in the other vehicle will be dealing with young children and may, therefore, not have quite the concentration on the road that you might wish?

Ignore them at your peril (seriously).

I've never bothered with one, but don't understand the disdain people have for them.

Soldato
So how would our refuse vehicles do their job given they operate between those hours? They have to use 'major roads' to get their disposal points.

Do they NEED to do the job between those hours?

It is a little subjective though of whether the inside cars are close enough together or not to warrant keep pulling in and out.

Exactly. Some people seem to think 4cm is a safe stopping distance at 80mph, so I'm sure they probably also think that a car length + 9cm is enough of a gap for you to move into out of their way :p

Last edited:
Associate
Well these lane hoggers are very dangerous an they refuse to move...mobile cicanes ..you have to weave in and out to overtake multiple hoggers

Soldato

It's not really the issue of 'lane hogging' though, which is usually fairly obvious....1 car in the middle lane and nothing visible in the inside lane.

This, at least to some extent.

I'm not sure why so many drivers have an issue with moving over to let others pass. If I can move over to let someone past, even if it means easing off slightly before I can move back out, then I've no problem with that. Only if I know I'm going to have to break heavily before I'd be able to move back out, would I wait before moving over.

So much of it seems to happen because drivers can't judge speed differentials properly - which is also why so many drivers can't join from a slip road properly.

I was recently overtaking and after passing pulled back in to the inside lane. Not long after, I caught up with two cars in front, both in the outside lane. I slowed my speed to match and ended up following them for at least half a mile, with no other cars in my lane. It was blatantly obvious that the car behind was trying to pass, but the car in front was either completely oblivious, or being deliberately obstructive. Why anyone would want to 'block' other cars, I've no idea. Do you lose 'points' for being overtaken?

Last edited:
Soldato
Being used to living in the Highlands of Scotland, when I get to the M6 it's like a dream come true - 95% of people use lane discipline!

Here some people think the overtaking lane is the "drive down and never move out of" lane :rolleyes:
Don't get me started on roundabouts...

Soldato
Or a rear facing supersoaker full of brake fluid...

hmm... *goes to shed to dig out old supersoaker* :p

A mate of mine used to have extra reversing lights on his defender (high power ones) for reversing at night, they were on a separate switch so he basically had rear facing high beams :D

Soldato
Exactly - and I'd imagine for most competent road users, flashing the car in front is a last resort. He even said "people" implying there was more than one driver who flashed him. Classic defiant vigilante attitude also; trying to "teach" other road users a lesson when in fact they're the danger.

Let's hope he's the next example.

Or perhaps they are trying to drive in a responsible way in heavy traffic and make good progress whilst surrounded by people who think they own the road and everyone and everything but them is a danger?

There is a lot of arrogant speeders hooning along well in excess of the speed limit. Tailgating and flashing drivers who are driving at the correct speed because they feel they have right of way. Just no - stop being dicks.

Do people not realise that the reason many drivers stay out in the middle lane is because they effectively get boxed in by all of the speeders (theres many of them) and the sheer volume of cars on the road? Meaning the only way to get out of the inside lane to, lets say, get around a lorry is to cut someone up or leave inadequate distance between vehicles or speed.

Many of these so called safe drivers do not leave the correct distance between the vehicle in front so traffic in the middle lane finds it hard to move into the outer lane because of it. They are also often the worlds worst at practicing what they preach and think just because they are doing 100MPH they don't need to move over.

Bottom line is that people driving too close and too fast is more dangerous than anyone doing the correct speed in the middle lane when passing traffic on the inside lane. They are not the dangerous ones. The dangerous ones are all the arrogant idiots who think they have right of way and that anyone travelling slower than them is in the wrong.

But of course Mr. Joe Bloggs' life is infinitely more important than everyone elses so you should just get out of his way. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom