Shenmue 3 - can you drive a forklift truck?

Soldato
I am so hyped for this! I never owned a Dreamcast, but my best friend did, and we played the hell out of those first two games.

Instant funding from me, no question. The only question is which tier can I afford to go upto. I'm thinking either $100 or $120.

Soldato
There'll probably be another surge nearer deadline, as is the way with kickstarters, but they'll likely still only get to around $5mil or so.

I originally pledged $60. Is it possible to pledge more and upgrade the reward?

Caporegime
OP
There'll probably be another surge nearer deadline, as is the way with kickstarters, but they'll likely still only get to around $5mil or so.

I originally pledged $60. Is it possible to pledge more and upgrade the reward?
Pretty sure you can - Im tempted by the art book but its a bad month with car bills for me. Was also holding off as Id prefer a physical copy...

I agree they really lowballed the initial goal amount. Im hoping $7million is enough to satisfy all stretch goals once you consider possible outside investment.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Best announcement ever (FF7 Remake was pretty close too). I truly hope they get the funding they need to make this game just as good/better as the originals.

I can't wait to see what they can do with the power of the PlayStation 4.

Soldato
Likely not much, they won't have the funding or team necessary to make it a graphical masterpiece style of game. Unless Sony stump up some cash that is.

Yeah, this probably isn't going to be Shenmue III as if it were a game produced today but more akin to being a sequel to the games that were made all those years ago. So much smaller scale an more primitive graphics vs current new releases.

I still can't freaking wait ^.^

Soldato
Think they'll release the first two on PSN? I really want to get excited about this but never had the chance to play the others :s

Associate
Sinc e kickstarter dont actually take your money when you pledge until after the project is funded what happens when cards get declined for some reason? Do you get a chance to resubmit your pledge after the kickstarter has ended?

Soldato
Think they'll release the first two on PSN? I really want to get excited about this but never had the chance to play the others :s

I would have thought Sega will do something within the next two years. It will probably be a straight port rather than a remaster due to the limited resources Sega has but hopefully you'll see a bundled pack for £15-20 in 18 months or so.

For making Shenmue I it cost so much money in R&D because it was so unique and each tool and section of the game had to be hand crafted and redesigned multiple times for it to work. The game was crazy ambitious for its time!

Shenmue III on the other hand will be more akin to a sequel to Shenmue II and in 14 years a Shenmue game has become far simpler to create as developers have to worry less about LODs, AI memory usage, storage space for audio, pathing calculations and all the other stuff that Shenmue was breaking new ground with when it came out years ago.

Shenmue III is going to be far less ground breaking than it's predecessors and will play more like a sequel to those old games. At least that is what I'm guessing the team will do with the resources they have to work with.

Soldato
The more I think about it, the less I think this game will make an impact on people new to the series. It's going to be built off the back of something very special when it was first made, and they are going to have to pull of some kind of extraordinary feat or groundbreaking feature to get this to impact in the same way; or it will feel like just another Yakuza (esque) title.

Soldato
As long as it stays true to its roots, I'm happy. What I don't want to see is the story rushed through to the conclusion with omissions from the original vision.

Also, duck racing. And Ryo could do with not handling like he's on a zimmer frame,

Soldato
This will get to around $8m I suspect as they introduce better rewards plus the rush towards the end of the campaign. That is not including the funding YS already secured plus the potential SONY funding and I think this will have a larger budget than I bet most people realise. I have every bit of confidence that this will be a true Shenmue game.

Soldato
why does everyone keep going on about how much it cost in 1999?
Everything is cheaper and a lot more powerful now.

wake me up at the end of 2017

erm..... what ??????

Cheaper ?just going on games consoles ... dreamcast £199

source :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/321289.stm

pc ... I was paying £400 for a 8mb graphics card back in 1999 ... the equivalent today is over £1000 easy

Last edited:
Soldato
erm..... what ??????

Cheaper ?just going on games consoles ... dreamcast £199

source :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/321289.stm

pc ... I was paying £400 for a 8mb graphics card back in 1999 ... the equivalent today is over £1000 easy

Surely he means the budget for Shenmue 1?

Anyways I can't wait for this :D. This is the best type of open world. I wish more developers would realize that a small open world location with tons to do is worth so much more than a massive boring one (or one with loads of repetition). Going to be my first kickstarter pledge and also put my down day 1 for any HD remasters Sega bring out (rumors were these were prepped for launch back towards the end of Last Gen but nothing ever materialized).

Back
Top Bottom