Email hosting for home

Soldato
Hi all,

We are moving away from Plusnet and getting FTTP but currently we use @xxxxx.plus.net emails and want to avoid having to move again in the future so will be buying a domain name and using emails with that.

Now my question is about email hosting, I have been looking at using Office 365 Essentials which seems pretty good for ~£3.10/user/month, however is it possible to use this in a home that is not a registered business?

If not are there other good email hosts around?

Thanks

Ali

Soldato
The Cloud Exchange host we use at work I use for my personal email and have had 0 issues with them in the last year of it being hosted. Costs me around £2 a month for a mailbox with a 25gb limit on with unlimited distribution groups so I can catch who's giving my email out for spam.

Soldato
OP
Ok so I've decided to go with Vidahost and office 365. Now trying to add my domain to 365 and its asking me to verify I own the domain by adding a TXT or MX record, I have done this on the vidahost control panel but office 365 can't seem to pick it up? I added them a couple of hours a go and it still won't find them?

Screenshots attached.

28aovsw.png

vfbdx5.png

any ideas?

cheers

Soldato
Looks like you have two MX records. The one with the highest priority is still forwarding mail to mail.vhdns.net which is vidahost. AFAIK you should have your MX records pointing to one mail server, it will only try a lower priority record if the higher priority routes fail.

Make a note of Vidahost's default MX record then delete it.

Priority of 3276 for the other MX record seems strange though. Where did it tell you to put 3276?

Also for the TXT record you need to take out the quotation marks ""

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the vidahost mx record should be deleted. As Asim said, the priority on the other mx record is odd, as it's the only other mx record it would be better to change that down to 10. Am not familiar with vidahost's admin interface but do you need to click that update zone button for your changes to take affect?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I only added the MX record when the TXT record didn't seem to work. The priority was on the Microsoft website and that was the value it said to use. I thought the quotation marks might be wrong but I can't seem to remove them, if I take them out it just RE adds them for me when I update the zone....

Associate
I've set this up a few times and had no issues. I only ever add just the TXT record and not the MX record. If they are not updating and being seen when you do a lookup on mxtoolbox.com then I would talk to the host in case there is an issue

Soldato
I think you'd want to delete the mail.vhdns.net mx record as it has the highest priority so unless the vidahost mail server was down the mx record to direct mail to microsoft wouldn't happen.

It doesn't matter for this purpose. As long as the MX record exists it should work. Microsoft's own instructions tell you to use a lower priority than any live MX records to avoid delivery problems to any existing mail servers.

Soldato
I've sometimes seen hosts who have two dns control panels if say, for example, you have Web hosting with them as well as a domain registration.

As above mx toolbox will tell you what is what

Back
Top Bottom