Really upset an Irish man on Saturday...

Caporegime
Ironically from my experience you have your assumption the wrong way round :)

A nationalist from Northern Ireland would be far more likely to get upset about this kind of mistake than a person from Eire (not from Ulster).

I was born in nationalist West Belfast and was brought up during what is commonly referred to as "the troubles". It was common for us to be indoctrinated to hate the English, yet despite this I failed to hate an entire nation. I consider myself Northern Irish but have no problem whatsoever identifying myself as both British and Irish.

When I used to refer to my ex as Irish, I'd swiftly get reminded she was Northern Irish. As with a girl I met a few weeks back, she done the exact same thing.

I always seem to attract Irish girls.

rpg

rpg

Associate
Irish people are not British, nor is Ireland part of Britain. The British Isles is an out-dated & technically false term, and is rarely used anymore. Do yourself a favour and don't use it in the company of the Irish. All you're doing is showing your ignorance, to them.

This is of course, excluding Northern Ireland & Northern Irish people (which personally, I don't refer to as either British or Irish).

The other ignorant comment I hear occasionally is "Southern Irish" - there is no such thing. In fact, the highest point on the island of Ireland belongs to the Republic of Ireland, so the term is nonsensical.

And lastly, I really don't think many educated & intelligent Irish folk really have an "issue on some level with the British" as one previous poster pointed out, they couldn't care less in fact - but they do care about being referred to as something they're not.

Soldato
Why's 'the British Isles' a technically false term? Isn't it just a neutral geographic term for Great Britain, Ireland, and all the other smaller islands?

It isn't a false term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

The Irish unfortunately have a bit of a chip on their shoulder over this. This is akin to the Canadians getting upset at being in North America.

Soldato
Why's 'the British Isles' a technically false term? Isn't it just a neutral geographic term for Great Britain, Ireland, and all the other smaller islands?

While factually you are correct. Many do not see it as a neutral geographical term at all and consider the term British Isles as an implication that it is inhabited by British citizens.

Everyone has a chip on their shoulder about something that mocks their national identity.

Soldato
While factually you are correct. Many do not see it as a neutral geographical term at all and consider the term British Isles as an implication that it is inhabited by British citizens.

Everyone has a chip on their shoulder about something that mocks their national identity.

Many? Are many who view it as not a neutral geographic term non Irish? I'd be surprised.

Mocks a national identity? Does Mexico being in Central America mock their national identity? With much of Mexico having been part of territorial disputes they might claim they have a right to be upset.

As far as I see it the Irish need to stop being so precious on this.

Caporegime
Life's too short to worry about arbitrary territorial divides people. Put all that 'brain power' you currently expend hating the English towards things that will actually help humanity.

Nobody shot up a load of Irish people in my name, so don't hold me to account for it, just like I don't hold innocent German people to account for their ancestors having caused the death of millions, or Irish people to account for terrorism and murder, or English people to account for atrocities in Ireland.

But then I am English, so it seems that kind of rational thought comes more naturally to me than most others from the British Isles.

Now let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

Many do not see it as a neutral geographical term at all and consider the term British Isles as an implication that it is inhabited by British citizens.

Don't use the term then :cool:.

Last edited:
Associate
As an Irishman recently returned to Ireland (Still not sure if it was the best idea) after 12 yrs in the UK I've enjoyed this thread :) Met many of the stereotypes described and was probably one of them at some point too. I enjoyed living in the UK, I learned to pronounce "three" instead of "tree" :D , I won't miss being asked: "Southern or Northern?" followed by "What's the difference anyway?"

As to the couple in the OP, I've met many like them from many different countries including Ireland (North & South). Just have a few people ask a drunk Canadian holding a Maple leaf flag what part of the States he's from :D

Man of Honour
I don't care but Fart Inferno is the best name I've seen on this forum, well that and Maximum Triceratops, that's good too. :D

Soldato
Many? Are many who view it as not a neutral geographic term non Irish? I'd be surprised.

Mocks a national identity? Does Mexico being in Central America mock their national identity? With much of Mexico having been part of territorial disputes they might claim they have a right to be upset.

As far as I see it the Irish need to stop being so precious on this.

As far as I see it you need to recognise that some people are entitled to their opinion without telling them to suck it up. If a term can and does cause offence to people from a certain race or creed, then anyone who uses that term while knowing it can cause offence is an inconsiderate moron.

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Associate
[TW]Fox;28252602 said:
She hates the English yet... dated one?

Sure it's not a made-up internet story to fit the topic? :p

Im half English, but yes it really did happen, the worst thing was when I ended the relationship and wanted my stuff back she called the police on me for harassment.

Soldato
He over reacted I think,Hell, I've said FAR worse to Irish truckers on my travels and just got a laugh!

I find the Irish (be it Northern or Eire) to be some of the easiest going people about tbh.

I find - give as good as you get.. be prepared to laugh at yourself as they will too.

Only odd time is when I said Happy St. Patricks day to the old CEO who was irish at work.. basically he was muttering under his breath, from what I remember it was akin to - you're english nothing todo with irish.. (St. Patrick is held by both anglican and catholic in north and south).

Soldato
I was walking into a shop in Rotherham town centre once (I don't go very often, as it's a dump) and as I was going in a bloke was walking out, and without the slightest hint of irony said in the broadest Scottish accent I've ever heard...

"There's too many ****ing foreigners around here!"

Back
Top Bottom