PS4 2TB Hard Drive upgrade: '2TB Seagate Spinpoint M9T' Thread.

Soldato
Just a quick question (I'm at work and haven't read the whole thread). I have a 500GB in my PS4 at the moment, if I want to put a 2TB in it, is there a way to copy all the existing data across. My net is not the greatest and would take me an age to re-download everything!

Yes there is now a backup and restore feature. Connect a usb hdd.

Soldato
I managed to get one of the Seagate 2tb drives for £55 and it'll likely be here tomorrow.

If I just pop it into the ps4 and re download everything will my uploaded saves still work or does the fact it's a different hdd mess with the encryption?

Soldato
OP
I managed to get one of the Seagate 2tb drives for £55 and it'll likely be here tomorrow.

If I just pop it into the ps4 and re download everything will my uploaded saves still work or does the fact it's a different hdd mess with the encryption?

Yeah will be fine, upload all your saves and sync your trophies. Then re download games and saves after format etc.

Or you could backup to an external USB HDD.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking about going back to a 1TB SSD, the load times / texture load in are killing me atm. I wish there were 2TB SSD's would be perfect for PS4 !

Caporegime
i've ordered the nyko data bank from america.

i'll be ordering the western digital 3TB black 3.5" soon for £120. it's 7200rpm and built for performance as well as space. unless someone knows of a faster drive for around the £100 mark?

Caporegime
How can you possibly need 3TB of games installed? You're always bragging that it takes you 13 seconds to download stuff, what's the point?

i don't need it but it will do me for the life of the console

i need to upgrade my hard drive (500GB Hybrid isn't cutting it now there are a lot more games out). i want performance as well as value for money in terms of storage capacity.

i may just but the 2TB western digital black drive but for £30 more I get 50% more storage. it makes sense to buy the 3TB over the 2TB.

it's not just for games, since they released the media player i'm going to start saving movies and stuff onto the console too.

Soldato
No idea why you have spent over £120 for a 3tb drive with ugly adapter when the 2tb 2.5" drive is only £59 ? Your logic seems a bit flawed tbh.

The performance difference between 7200rpm and 5400rpm on the PS4 is unnoticeable in normal use a few seconds at best. The 2TB 2.5" drive just about matches a 2.5" 7200rpm drive anyway due to its platter size.

It seems you have spent a lot extra for not a lot really to me....

Caporegime
afaik the drive in this thread is crap

http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_spinpoint_m9t_hard_drive_review

it scores terribly in this review

"Our second real-life test covers disk activity in a gaming environment. This trace relies heavily on the read performance of a drive. To give a simple breakdown of read/write percentages, the HTPC test is 64% write, 36% read, the Productivity test is 59% write and 41% read, while the gaming trace is 6% write and 94% read. The test consists of a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system pre-configured with Steam, with Grand Theft Auto 4, Left 4 Dead 2, and Mass Effect 2 already downloaded and installed. The trace captures the heavy read activity of each game loading from the start, as well as textures as the game progresses. In this trace we recorded 426MB being written to the drive and 7,235MB being read.

The Spinpoint M9T showed one of the slowest gaming environment performances in each measurement (506.0 IOPS, 27.1MB/s, and 15.8ms), although it was typically comparable to the Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB HDD (484.8 IOPS, 26.0MB/s, and 16.5ms) and the HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB (482.2 IOPS, 25.8MB/s, and 16.6ms)."

slowest gaming environment performance

compare that with

"The new WD Caviar Black is by in large one of the fastest 3.5" HDDs on the market today with its target users generally being those looking for the most explosive performance available in an HDD, without giving up capacity. Along with its top-in-class performance, the new WD drive also features Vibration Control Technology, or VCT, which allows the platters to adapt to any mounting problems or vibration conditions. As a result, this increases reliability, accuracy, and performance over time.

In our tests, we found the new WD Black Caviar 4TB performed significantly better overall compared to the other 7,200RPM hard drives with the exception of the Hitachi 7K4000, which kept pace in a few categories. In mixed workloads, the new WD Black was frequently at the top of the pack by quite a large margin--especially when it came to throughput--with sequential read transfer performance clocking in at 20MB/s higher than the closest HDD. The updated WD Black HDDs promised higher performance of up to 48 percent, better accuracy, stronger reliability and a greater efficiency; it delivered just that, making this a highly recommended HDD. "

http://www.storagereview.com/wd_black_4tb_desktop_hard_drive_review_wd4003fzex

as for it being unnoticeable i seem to notice i have picked up all my bounties before anyone else in the fireteam has even loaded into the tower in destiny. so in those circumstances i need to wait for them but when i'm on my own loading into a game, daily, mission, etc will be faster saving me some time.

especially when it comes to playing single player games like the last of us, tomb raider, etc. the stuff in the background loads up quicker and less time for stuff to pop up, etc.

I need to upgrade now and this seems like the best in terms of performance and capacity.

I don't care how it looks, that should be obvious, I don't look at the console I look at the screen when gaming funnily enough.

So it looks like the WD Black is the one to go for.

Soldato
Can't say I have noticed any pop in or being last loading into multiplayer games. Tbh I see little difference between the 2tb drive and the 1tb SSD I had in there for a while with only a few games installed.

I have had one in my PS4 for quite a while and it's now 1.6TB full and cannot say I have seen any issues at all. I would not say it's a crap drive at all tbh.. I have one in my PS4, One attached to my Xbox one and one in my laptop and all have been perfect with no complaints playing games on any format tbh...

I think it makes more difference in a Pc tbh than the PS4 having a faster drive. The PS4 was designed to use a rather slow 5400rpm drive.

To me it seems you have spent quite a bit for very little return but if it makes you happy. I would rather spend the money on games..... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom