****NASCAR in 2015****

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
I was always fascinated by the NASCAR paint jobs on the cars.
I've played, when I was a kid, a NASCAR race game called "NASCAR Racing" for MS-DOS.
Here a video of the game:

Yep, I remember that one. Still have a boxed copy somewhere. And it traces a direct line all the way to iRacing today.

Well, also thanks for the link.
And if I still have some questions, may I ask that here?

Greetings, Deystorm

By all means :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Bother.

So thanks to Deystorm reminding me about the awesomeness of Papyrus' NASCAR Racing sim intros, I took to Youtube. And then fell down a rabbit hole. But I've clambered back out, and brought the following with me.

So, Deystorm linked to the NASCAR Racing intro. Here's NASCAR Racing 2:

And NASCAR Racing 1999 Edition (which brought us the then Busch series and the Craftsman Trucks!):

Aaaaaaaaand NASCAR Racing 3:

NASCAR Legends, which I still wish someone would do a version of today on a modern platform - truly, the glory days of NASCAR:

NASCAR 4:

NASCAR Racing 2002 Edition:

And then I come a cropper. Mostly because I have NASCAR Racing 2003 Edition still installed (and if you're a sim racer, why wouldn't you? It's like having a Grand Prix Legends install, it's the law :confused:), and I've never had an intro come up beyond the Sierra and Papy logos. I also haven't seen one that purports to be official. Regardless, it's still one of the finest racing sims ever to be released, better in some ways than iRacing even after all this time, and if you can grab a copy of the NASCAR Racing 5 beta .exe file (which was entirely unsupported and unsanctioned by TPTB) then it becomes even better.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Okay, quick round-up of last weekend.

First the truck race at Gateway. Cole Custer got his first win of the year, grabbing the lead on the final restart after Tyler Reddick mis-shifted. Spencer Gallagher was second, just ahead of Johnny Sauter who took a hard fought third. Matt Crafton had led 49 laps and been looking good for fighting for the win before becoming the victim of a John Hunter Nemechek mistake - Nemechek bobbled up into him and sent him firmly into the outside wall late on:

Over in Michigan the Xfinity race turned into a battle between Chase Elliott and Kyle Busch for the win, with Busch coming out on top for his first victory since coming back from his Daytona injury. The race had more than a few cautions, and one red flag:

In the Cup race, Kyle was less fortunate:

It was left to his brother to take the win in a rain shortened event - they only made it to lap 138 out of a scheduled 200, and the race had to be stopped multiple times for the weather.

The trucks are at Iowa next weekend, Xfinity series is at Chicagoland. The Cup series has the weekend off, next race will be at Sears Point for some left and right turns :) Bit of news in the Cup series - the 2016 rules package that had been discussed (reduction in downforce to match up to the drop in horsepower brought in this season) has been discussed enough that they're going to bring it forward somewhat - should be in place for the Kentucky race in July. Goodyear are going to take some time to get a handle on tyres to match up to it, so we probably shouldn't expect an immediately positive affect. But the drivers who have tested it so far have liked it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sonoma will hopefully be more entertaining. On a side note, it's a shame the Trucks were by themselves at Gateway... I'd like to see more short tracks on the Cup and Xfinity schedules. Nobody goes to the standalone Chicagoland race, why not make that a joint Truck\Xfinity date at Gateway next year?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
I'd love to see more short tracks on the schedule. Not going to happen though, which is why I watch the ARCA series when I need my short track fix :D

Soldato
I'd love to see more short tracks on the schedule. Not going to happen though, which is why I watch the ARCA series when I need my short track fix :D

That and a couple more road races. Not really the same when it's 4th tier ARCA\K&N Pro on those circuits.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
So, as I mentioned before the Camping World Trucks were at Iowa. Last year, Erik Jones ended a run of poor luck by winning there. This year, he's ended a poor run....by winning there. He dominated, in fact, leading 112 laps on his way to Victory Lane. I would like to put a word in for Christopher Bell though, who got a top five place on his CW Trucks debut. Good effort lad
icon14.gif

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Erik Jones completed the sweep of the weekend, winning the Xfinity race at Chicagoland. A new track record was set along the way - 23 changes for the lead.

A bit more on the rules package changes for the Cup series. The plan is to run the '16 package at Kentucky, and possibly other races though obviously that'll depend on how the first race goes. The changes are as follows:

1) Spoiler height reduced from 6in to 3.5in.
2) Splitter extension panel reduced from 38in to 25in.
3) Splitter overhang reduced by 1.75in.

The plan is that these aero alterations will take about 1,000lbs of downforce off the cars at racing speed.

Soldato
There's been a lot of hype for Kyle Larson, Chase Elliott and to a lesser extent Ryan Blaney. I think Jones might actually be the best young prospect in Nascar right now (doesn't hurt to be driving for KBM\Toyota of course).

As for the aero package, it'll probably make the most difference on tracks like Chicagoland, Kentucky's surface slows things down a lot.

Soldato
I was at Sonoma on Sunday. It was amazing. Strolled down the pits, caught Arnie before he drove the pace car, ate way too much BBQ.

Was rooting for Jeff Gordon but it didnt work out. Other than that, I was just enjoying the atmosphere which was... unlike anything ive seen before. Only shame was it was blistering hot so was a disgusting mess for most of the day.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Was rooting for Jeff Gordon but it didnt work out. Other than that, I was just enjoying the atmosphere which was... unlike anything ive seen before. Only shame was it was blistering hot so was a disgusting mess for most of the day.

I'm still quite jealous that you were there :mad::D

So, bit of tyre-wall action:

And a bit of wall-wall action:

Aaaaand a bit of snapped-axle action:

Martin Truex Jr was pretty unhappy with David Ragan after their coming together sent Truex off. That one will have repercussions at some point.

Another weird incident - Matt DiBenedetto got spun on pitroad during the final caution period....by a safety truck. He managed to get back some of the spots he lost in the spin to salvage a 29th place finish, which wasn't too bad.

Anyway, nice win for Kyle Busch, and the first 1-2 with his brother Kurt

Race results.

And now they get to pack everything up, and go to the other end of the country to Daytona! Nice one schedulers! :D

Soldato
Was a pretty good race, shame Kurt lost ground on the last pitstop exchange, he was the fastest of the 3-stoppers to my recollection. Unfortunately the #48 team couldn't make their conservation strategy work.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Well, ****.

The first practice session at Daytona got ugly early. Brad Keselowski and Kyle Busch got together, and now eight drivers are going to start the Cup race in backup cars.

***edit***

On the plus side - three of the four Gibbs Toyotas were involved. Every cloud....

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
My reaction to the ride Austin Dillon took at the end of the Coke Zero 400:

2gt6jhz.gif

More on that in a bit.

The race start was delayed by rain, and the tone of the evening was set quite early on. Lap three saw the first wreck, a nine car affair that was set off when David Gilliland bumped Clint Bowyer:

Kyle Busch and Daytona haven't been a happy mix this season:

Braindead Moron™ dropped it once:

Aaaaaaaand then....well, I have to be fair. Not much he could do in this situation:

And still they keep screwing it up:

The big crash:

How he walked away from that one....boy am I glad that they build these cars the way they do. It's amazing how easily air can just pluck one of these fairly heavy cars up off the track at these speeds once they've been knocked. Injuries in the crowd were fortunately minimal. 13 people were looked at, 8 of them didn't require any medical attention and only one was transferred to a local hospital - they've since been treated and released.

So, congrats to Junebug for the win/staying out of trouble. Full results. On to Kentucky, and the first race for the new aero package.

Soldato
I have to wonder how much longer Nascar can get away with putting cars into the fence at the plate tracks...sooner or later their luck will run out.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
They're going to have to slow these cars down at the plate tracks. 200mph is just too fast in these big packs. Either slow them, or get rid of the packs. Getting rid of the restrictor plates and limiting the top speed with gear changes and a high-drag aero package might accomplish what they need.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
I can't post the link on here due to the....colourful use of English that Dale Earnhardt Jr was employing, but his reaction to the Austin Dillon crash as it unfolded has been posted to YT by someone who had their NASCAR RaceView set to Earnhardt's radio.

Basically no ****s given from Earnhardt at all for his race win. Just wanted to know if Austin and the crowd were okay. The guy is a class act.

Soldato
How the hell the fence stands up to a car being chucked at it like that is some fairly impressive engineering! Will check out the radio feed!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Not exactly an auspicious start for the practice with the new rules package at Kentucky - the extra practice sessions due to be held yesterday were rained off. They're adding some time to Thursday practice to compensate.

Back
Top Bottom