Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Installed a 5th hard drive in the n54L today, and it has become so noisy!

Any suggestions how I can stop the vibrations, it is in the study and driving me mad. If I apply pressure to the top it stops.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Installed a 5th hard drive in the n54L today, and it has become so noisy!

Any suggestions how I can stop the vibrations, it is in the study and driving me mad. If I apply pressure to the top it stops.

I had that, I put a micro fiber rag in a antistatic bag and sat the drive on it.
It might not be the best solution, but it worked.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Nope, 6.0 went straight on mine.

Gen8_zpsita0has6.jpg

That's using the none HP ISO, just the stock VMware one.

Soldato
I'm using WS 2012 and using the NIC teaming however I seem to be having issues when the server reboots and I can't remote into the server. I have to pull out the cables or reboot my router N56U for it to get connected again. I guess it's a DNS issue but I can't see what my router would be doing wrong.

Can I not use NIC teaming?

Soldato
Anyone had any issues installing ESXi 6 on the Gen8 Microserver?
I've tried both the standard and HP's customised images (from here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/solutions.html?compURI=1499005#tab=TAB4 ) , both of them fail installation with an error about not detecting the nics.
This is caused by not having enough RAM. ESXi requires 4GB minimum. The NIC error does throw you off somewhat. I think it basically has insufficient RAM to load the network stack.

I use the HP customised one on mine which gives you better hardware monitoring.

Soldato
This is caused by not having enough RAM. ESXi requires 4GB minimum. The NIC error does throw you off somewhat. I think it basically has insufficient RAM to load the network stack.

I use the HP customised one on mine which gives you better hardware monitoring.

Cheers, figured It had to be something like that when I tried the 5.5 ISO, which gives a proper error about insufficient RAM. Got an 8 GB stick of Kingston ecc on the way.

Things have moved on a bit since I set up my N36 on ESXi 4! Being forced into ECC is a little annoying as I've loads of spare non-ecc DDR3 around, but the server seems better built and ILO makes things a lot easier.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got an idea on this?

I'm trying to install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on an N54L and can't get passed the install bit as it states it is missing a driver. I've removed my Intel NIC and returned to onboard but get the same issue.

I've also gone to HP's website and downloaded the driver for the onboard NIC and correct OS but it's been trying to install it for the past hour so it's not looking good.

My BIOS is a 2011 version do i need to update this, if so does anyone have a link to it?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Anyone got an idea on this?

I'm trying to install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on an N54L and can't get passed the install bit as it states it is missing a driver. I've removed my Intel NIC and returned to onboard but get the same issue.

I've also gone to HP's website and downloaded the driver for the onboard NIC and correct OS but it's been trying to install it for the past hour so it's not looking good.

My BIOS is a 2011 version do i need to update this, if so does anyone have a link to it?
You need the latest BIOS. There was a bug in the on-board NIC firmware that causes the install of 2012 R2 to hang.

Associate
Ignore, first google search advised this - Open the SWSetup folder that the ROMPaq installer creates and copy all files from the “Flat Files” folder over to the USB drive that the ROMPaq utility modifies to be bootable.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

When you say it's telling you it needs a driver... What do you mean? The only issue with the G7 was that the 2012 R2 install would hang until you updated the NIC's firmware (via the BIOS update). This is the latest version: 2013.10.01 (A) 15 Nov 2013

Once the BIOS is updated, the install proceeds without problem.

I've never installed Windows Essentials, so it may be different. If it allows you to provide a driver, download this one and unzip it to a USB stick:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/...=MTX_138a4027261540ee83265cf73e&swEnvOid=4139

Associate
When I installed 2012 R2 it would hang unless I disabled the onboard NIC. This was for my N36L. After updating the BIOS it installed fine.
When doing the same with my N54L and BIOS update I still can't install 2012 R2.

*Edit*

I should mention this is installing 2012 in a VM.

Last edited:
Associate
When you say it's telling you it needs a driver... What do you mean? The only issue with the G7 was that the 2012 R2 install would hang until you updated the NIC's firmware (via the BIOS update). This is the latest version: 2013.10.01 (A) 15 Nov 2013

Once the BIOS is updated, the install proceeds without problem.

I've never installed Windows Essentials, so it may be different. If it allows you to provide a driver, download this one and unzip it to a USB stick:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/...=MTX_138a4027261540ee83265cf73e&swEnvOid=4139

Hi Rotor, When i select the language and then click install now it says the media requires a driver for my n54l but doesn't state what one.

I've already tried that driver and it didn't work.

Currently downloading another iso in case there was an issue with the first one.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Do people use the Hp P212 as a replacement for the stock one and plug the drive cage into it, or do you guys use it to add more drives?

On the Gen8's.. the P212 would remove the limit on 2xsata3 and 2xsata3 right?

Thanks.

Soldato
Gen8 officially uses the P222. A P212 probably works but may not play with the ILO all that well - i.e. fan might go nuts.

Mine has a P420 in it (not officially supported but seems to work ok - fan is at 16% though so a little louder than an N54). 4 WD reds and 2 SSDs, and the optical drive is on the internal SATA port (so I have to have the B120i enabled). Still have 2 ports available for future expansion - not that I'm expecting to need it!

Last edited:
Associate
Finally joining the ranks of microserver owners (annoyingly ummm and aahhhd too long to get the cashback deal).

Whats the best way of getting a 5th drive in the ODD bay of the Gen 8? My google-fu is failing me and I cant seem to find a good solution for it.

Back
Top Bottom