Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
What machine is that? Getting a peeved off with my Gaggia Classic - unsure whether it needs replacing / servicing or just binning. Consistent it is not. Surely I should be getting good results it?
Shots have got consistently worse over the last few years... Thinking of upgrading to a Silvia or similar soon...

Caporegime
Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione and the grinder is a Mazzer Mini-E "Type-A"

They weren't cheap. That's a pic of about £2k of stuff. Could have been a few bob cheaper had I chosen a different finish for the grinder, but I was a sucker for the chrome :o

e: Also the cellini also comes in a "Premium Plus" variant which is slightly cheaper. The evoluzione supports both reservoir or direct-plumb, and has a rotary pump. The "premium plus" is reservoir only and has a vibration pump, which makes it about £200 cheaper and a few kilos lighter.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Regarding the Rancilio - solid, solid machine. My friend and colleague has one, and it is really easy to get consistent shots from it. You'll need to temperature surf, but that's really really easy.

Combined with the Rocky and you've got yourself some great espresso. I'd also recommend the Baratza Vario.

Soldato
Regarding the Rancilio - solid, solid machine. My friend and colleague has one, and it is really easy to get consistent shots from it. You'll need to temperature surf, but that's really really easy.

Combined with the Rocky and you've got yourself some great espresso. I'd also recommend the Baratza Vario.

I'd also recommend the Rancilio Silvia and add a ~£120 pid to save temp surfing and keep the temps much more stable :)

Mmmm - your equipment pictures #droool

gEd

gEd

Associate
I'd also recommend the Rancilio Silvia and add a ~£120 pid to save temp surfing and keep the temps much more stable :)

+1 I bought the Silva and Rocky a fews years back, largely based in the recommendations in this thread which I remain subscribed to. The PID makes the machine much better and it was definitely worth the money in my view.

he Rocky can grind from course cafetiere up to fine espresso.
If I were into espessso only, I might look to get an espresso only grinder rather than the rocky as it will give you greater control over the grind.

Mmmm - your equipment pictures #droool

+1 - exquisite.

Soldato
I have the Silvia and the Rocky doserless. For about £600 all in you can't find a better machine.

Only problem I find with it is it's not good if you have multiple guests but seeing as im single and never see anyone it's not a problem :p

And the triple naked PF gives a stunning shot.

Associate
I just went to Hasbean to order some more Fazenda Cachoeira and they'd just roasted the last of their supply, they won't be getting any more till next year :(:eek::(:eek:

Any other recommendations?

I've tried Rave Signature blend and didn't like it that much.

gEd

gEd

Associate
I have the Silvia and the Rocky doserless. For about £600 all in you can't find a better machine.

Only problem I find with it is it's not good if you have multiple guests but seeing as im single and never see anyone it's not a problem :p

And the triple naked PF gives a stunning shot.
Yes, the naked PF was one of my more inspired xmas present requests and really help you to improve how you dose the PF. I still get periodic stray jets spraying from the edges.

When I am doing multiple shots at the w/e, I measure out 1 full scoop of beans per person (~15g I think) and grind the lot into a container and then make the shots, using 1 full scoop of grounds per serving, varied according to taste. Doing all the grinding beforehand overcomes the delays in not having an autodoser (while the doserless itself avoids the problem of having stale grounds in a doser).

Soldato
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ta-how-to-make-a-decent-cup-of-coffee-at-home

This is interesting. They seem to do the inverted method with the AP but are a bit light on the details (as you'd expect). But only use 12g of coffee?

I've always been aiming for 18g, but more often than not end up more like 20g. What's recommended for AP? I also weigh my beans once ground, do you think there is a difference between weighing whole beans, and ground beans? :confused:

uv

uv

Soldato
I just went to Hasbean to order some more Fazenda Cachoeira and they'd just roasted the last of their supply, they won't be getting any more till next year

oh my christ :/

The Fazenda bourbon was my staple, nothing else I've tried comes close in my opinion :(

I've got one unopened bag left, will be treating it like gold dust :p

Caporegime
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ta-how-to-make-a-decent-cup-of-coffee-at-home

This is interesting. They seem to do the inverted method with the AP but are a bit light on the details (as you'd expect). But only use 12g of coffee?

I've always been aiming for 18g, but more often than not end up more like 20g. What's recommended for AP? I also weigh my beans once ground, do you think there is a difference between weighing whole beans, and ground beans? :confused:
I settled on the following:
"normal" way up AP with dry filter (i.e. no pre-soak)
18g scoop of beans (usually this means a level scoop using the AP provided one).
Grind medium-fine. For reference: it took about 180 rotations of my hario skirton to grind it. The "setting" was 1/3rd of a turn of the holding screw from the biting point.*
Dump into AP and rattle to level it out - doubt this makes any difference..
Boil kettle and wait for all bubbles to stop.
Pour into AP up to the number 4 mark.
(using AP stirererer thing) do ten back-forth north-south, then turn 90 degrees and do 10 east-west. OCDlulz.
Wait for water to filter to number 2
Press remaining water out with a slow press of about 20seconds.

Who process takes about 10mins.

The bestest best I've had from my AP is an inverted brew for 20mins. But I don't have the patience.

*by this I mean tighten until you feel it "bite" then unscrew for 1/3rd of a rotation.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom