Aircon units for bedroom?

Permabanned
Hi all, every summer I bust out the fans to try and stay cool which works to a certain extent but that left me wondering, just how expensive/good are Aircon units designed to work in bedrooms? cuz after another boiling night i'm ready to buy a unit that will keep my entire room cool and not just a tiny area of it cool! does anyone have any recommendations?

Soldato
I thought the same as you and in March bought a 9000BTU (iirc) to give it a go. Our house gets really hot upstairs.

Apart of the hassle of the exhaust (tip - get a 120mm outlet fitted in an exterior wall if you can) and the noise (I wouldnt want to sleep with it on medium or high) it's great. Cools down bedroom (13ftx22ft) to 18c in about 20 minutes. The last 2 dgrees take a little longer. In fact i will install the wall mounted ones with exterior extractors once I start the extension - im a convert.

Soldato
a lot of the portable units are too noisy, while you may sleep with them on, they won't do your hearing any good. To avoid exhaust pipes etc, then a split system. Also far tidier but you need a unit outside. 1 per indoor unit or a multisplit for 1 outside unit and several indoor. a lot of these units do heating too.

However AC in the UK is a crazy for the few days of heat, a bit like snow tyres in winter.

Soldato
Open windows front and back of your house, open internal doors leave bedroom curtains closed. Then wear less in bed and ditch the duvet for a thin sheet that should keep you coolin even the warmest of British summers.

Seriously can't believe that someone thinks you need to cool your bedroom to 18 degrees before going to sleep it's no wander we have an energy crisis!

DiG

DiG

Associate
I don't understand why so many people question the need for AC in the UK. Yes your house might be fine with a few open windows but things vary massively. I've lived in houses that are cool all year round or it was quiet enough outside to have the windows open at night and I've lived in places where even if it was a mild day outside the house was still baking hot!

Soldato
Our first house in the UK was a new build and the insulation was to be honest too good. Even during winter we barely used to use the CH, I only ever ticked it over really to ensure that it had no issues.

Our house was like a furnace during the summer (and by summer I mean 20 + degress). A fan just wasn't up to it. I purchased a portable AC unit from ebay :

Loud? Yes
Expensive to run? Yes
Inefficient? Yes
Did it cool the room? Yes

Could not do without it to be honest.

Soldato
same here, put a big fan on and a thin sheet in place of the duvet slept like a baby.

that's nice to know and the 2nd time you've told us so I take it you have no more interest in this thread then bar to play devils advocate

anyway got my portable AC unit out last night that I bought a B&Q about 7 years ago. Put vent out window and in 15 mins had the front room down to 18 or so. Saying that it did cool down very quickly last night outside. Not as bad as I thought it would be

Soldato
that's nice to know and the 2nd time you've told us so I take it you have no more interest in this thread then bar to play devils advocate

anyway got my portable AC unit out last night that I bought a B&Q about 7 years ago. Put vent out window and in 15 mins had the front room down to 18 or so. Saying that it did cool down very quickly last night outside. Not as bad as I thought it would be

No I'm just posting an opinion on a forum.

I really can't believe that people cool a room to 18 to sleep in it the wasted energy astounds me!

Soldato
I've had a portable AC unit for about 3 years now, it's absolute bliss.

One of the reasons that made me buy one is having the window open lets all the dust and pollen blow in, giving my hell with my allergies. But with the AC I can keep the window closed. Also, my bedroom gets the sun all day long near enough, and can get very hot, it will get to like 27c and stay that hot all night. With the AC I can put it on to bring the room temp down to 22c, and just put it on for an hour while I go to sleep to keep a cool breeze going over me, it's utter bliss.

When I get my own house, I will without a doubt fit a proper wall unit.

Associate
What's the minimum sort of outlay to expect for a decent portable unit to cool a 20m^2 bedroom?

I'm interested in doing it, especially as we have a ready-made vent for the hose to go through, but the prices seem pretty steep.

Back
Top Bottom