Driveway planning application - mistake

Soldato
I've dropped a clanger.

New driveway planning approved last year, alongwith dropped kerb approval from highways.

I included a trench drain+soakaway in plans on front boundary, but also (stupidly) stated that I'd use a porus surface on driveway.

Issue is, the drive will be on a significant gradient (leading down to road), and therefore the porus sub-base + asphalt are not suitable (>~1/20 gradient apparently).

Given that highways have approved the road saftey aspect, no neighbours complained, the design was sound (other than the surface) - is it worth just building the thing with MOT-1 & non-porus asphalt and then applying for retrospective planning?

Worth a conversation with the duty planners first, perhaps? An 8 week delay for revised approval would be an issue.

Soldato
the planners won't care a jot imo - but the roads department will, speak to them about your options first (even if you went back to planning the roads dept would comment on it)
the only real concern would be if you are now in danger of putting excess water onto the main road - they don't like that!

Soldato
OP
So I spoke with the planners. They could not care less about the surface material, it's all about providing adequate drainage to them.

So, going to proceed, build what I need, overspec the drainage and then apply for retrospective.

I've seen a variety of formulas that map from driveway area (90sqm in my case) to the soakaway volume required but I'm looking at between 1.5-2.5m3. Yikes.

Would love to know the official formula if anyone knows it, but will be speaking to the local flood management team who can hopefully advise.

Soldato
OP
who's going to know if you build it with slightly different materials as long as your drainage is suitable?

Too many nosey neighbours around here. The planner said he knew were i was so I suspet they'll keep an eye out now for enforcement.

It's cool - I want it above board anyway.

Back
Top Bottom