• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5820k system question

Associate
I am thinking of upgrading to the 5820k from a 2600k and I have a couple of questions:

I am currently running a 2600k @ 4.6ghz. Would I notice a big difference going to the 5820k for gaming?

I have noticed in the bundles on OCUK that they come overclocked at 3.8ghz. I have also noticed that they come overclocked at 4.4ghz from another retailer so what is the deal overclocking wise?

Any advice would be appreciated guys.

Soldato
For gaming, no. Willing to bet you'll not see any difference at all. Maybe a few % increase in FPS but nothing noticeable.

I'd put the money into upgrading everything else first (do you have a DX12 ready graphics card?) and do motherboard/CPU/RAM some time in the future.

Associate
OP
For gaming, no. Willing to bet you'll not see any difference at all. Maybe a few % increase in FPS but nothing noticeable.

I'd put the money into upgrading everything else first (do you have a DX12 ready graphics card?) and do motherboard/CPU/RAM some time in the future.

I have a GTX 970 and 16GB of memory. I was thinking of adding another 970 in SLI. This would probably be the best and cheapest option at this moment in time if I am not mistaken?

Soldato
I have a GTX 970 and 16GB of memory. I was thinking of adding another 970 in SLI. This would probably be the best and cheapest option at this moment in time if I am not mistaken?

Yeh I would, then I'd consider stuff like more/larger SSDs.

A new case is a really good way of making a build feel fresh and new as well. :)

Permabanned
I am building a new system and going from a 2600k to the 5930k myself. Had the 2600k 5 years and was in the same boat considering changing. Gonna give this system I am currently on to my little lad I think. The 2600k is still a great CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 2500K and if I was a bit richer I would go for an X99 setup if changing now. Tbh for my uses, gaming, web stuff etc. I'll wait. Thinking about a new SSD just moving to 16GB RAM (cheap ATM) and planning a new GPU after the die shrink next year. The CPU etc.can wait until 2017.

Soldato
You would need to clock the 5820k to around 4gb to get the same gaming results if the game only supports up to four cores. Games that support more are rare, and even then it doesn't really matter much.

The 5820k is not a gaming CPU though and never was. It's for business use and encoding and so on.

You do get benefits though. PCIE 3, DDR4 (not that it makes much difference now) and so on. You also get a far more functional motherboard. Whether or not that's worth the coin? only you can decide that :)

Depends what else, if anything, you use the rig for. One thing I will say though is that Windows 8 is cracking at loading the CPU up when you are multi tasking, so if you do lots of that you'll definitely see a benefit.

I certainly wouldn't worry about buying a 5820k. Replacements of Intel's Enterprise chipsets/boards and chips are far less fluent than the desktop stuff they knock out all the time. So basically a 5820k would be current for a good while yet and basically last you for as long or even longer than your 2600k has lasted.

I've (stupidly I guess but who cares?) just ordered a system with a 5820k in it to replace my 3970x. Probably won't gain much speed but DDR4 and PCIE 3 are quite good to have. I've spent all day benching my existing rig so I will bench the new one and upload my findings.

Back
Top Bottom