Retro console and games thread

daz

daz

Soldato
Ah, the asteroid flinging ship.
Managed to get to level 3 tonight, would have gotten further if I had used the ol' "no kills on the 1st level" trick. ;)

Is that really a trick? :o

Awesome shoot 'em up game though. Would be great to have more modern mech related games.

Associate
Someone with a Spectrum needs to buy this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-...HE-ENORMOUS-TURNIP-w-Story-Book-/391139174169

Then post a "lets play".

I remember having a whole load of these as a kid. :D

The Enormous Turnip educational game for the 48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum, includes Parent's Guide booklet and story book - the keyboard overlay is missing. Good condition, has some wear and rippling to the back of the sleeve insert.

It had me tempted... for a moment :(

Soldato
Is that really a trick? :o

Yep, from what i remember, go through the 1st level without firing a shot except for on the boss, and on the 2nd level you get some kind of fully upgraded flamethrower.

The Enormous Turnip educational game for the 48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum, includes Parent's Guide booklet and story book - the keyboard overlay is missing. Good condition, has some wear and rippling to the back of the sleeve insert.

It had me tempted... for a moment :(

I remember the old overlays, funny how you remember this stuff, Hansel and Gretel in particular.

Soldato
I feel sad :(

When my sister moved into the place she is staying now, she found an Atari 520ST in the attic. Well this did end up at mine and it's been here for a good while. I've only just got around to fixing it up to give it a go and it doesn't have a joypad so I can't even play anything.....

I tried Lombard Rally, The Running Man, Ikari Warriors. Some games don't seem to have all the discs like Night Raider; although this game says nothing like Disk 1 on the disk so I didn't know it needed another.

The only game I've been able to play so far using the keyboard and mouse is FireZone. I haven't figured out what to do on this yet though.

Do I really need a joypad to play games on this computer?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm almost certain the old Atari ST will not use anything other than Atari joysticks, despite the ports looking the same as those found on Mega drives etc.

Your best bet is to get on ebay and find a proper Atari joystick/pad.

daz

daz

Soldato
Yep, from what i remember, go through the 1st level without firing a shot except for on the boss, and on the 2nd level you get some kind of fully upgraded flamethrower.

Yeah I just meant I thought it was common knowledge and pretty standard to do that. Can imagine it is more difficult without that gun though, the bosses especially.

Soldato
Soldato
The lounge is clean for once, quick! take a shelfie! :) - taken a month or two back, been meaning to share on here for ages.
the_console_wall_1024.jpg

Hope you all enjoy, great to see much love for the neo geos. I have an AES, Pocket and CD front-loader... Would love to own an omega MVS

Nice collection although I would be worried about the Xbone cooking itself...

Caporegime
That's funny because I didn't think the pin layout was the same. We couldn't get mega drive controllers to work at all.

Just found this guide that tell you how to modify the pins to make the controllers work: http://www.atarimax.com/freenet/fre.../7.TechnicalResourceCenter/showarticle.php?63

Perhaps Master System controllers were different?

Prob was, the MS controller only had two buttons, same as the ST stick, MS pad worked really well and much better than clicky joystick!

Just found this link :)

https://lowresmag.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/using-joypads-on-the-atari-st/

"The first solution is to get an old Sega gamepad for the Sega Master System. Those simply work by plugging into the ST’s joystick ports."

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
He's prob got enough money to buy another ;)

One thing though, are any of them plugged in? Can you actaully use them ?

im a pc master race kinda guy, its hardly used. theres ample ventilation round the back too. the only console that used a lot is the WiiU

regret getting the xbone really, i swapped it for some of my old megadrives.

A few are plugged in, i have wired extensions cables for scart, rca, antenna and hdmi into the centre black box. its very quick and easy to fire them up and play :)

Soldato
Getting pretty fed up here :/. Today I dug out my SNES and N64, connecting both using the RF wire from system to TV. Trying on the TV downstairs for a while and I have got a picture at least two or three times today on the SNES, but now it just isn't finding anything. Tried a different RF lead, for some reason that found freeview channels but didn't find the games system! It has stages where it picks up some sort of sounds but screen is just blank.

Trying at the moment on the TV in my bedroom, but so far I haven't got anything!

N64 seems to be picking up more than the SNES but both getting me a little annoyed as I want to play :(

Associate
Getting pretty fed up here :/. Today I dug out my SNES and N64, connecting both using the RF wire from system to TV. Trying on the TV downstairs for a while and I have got a picture at least two or three times today on the SNES, but now it just isn't finding anything. Tried a different RF lead, for some reason that found freeview channels but didn't find the games system! It has stages where it picks up some sort of sounds but screen is just blank.

Trying at the moment on the TV in my bedroom, but so far I haven't got anything!

N64 seems to be picking up more than the SNES but both getting me a little annoyed as I want to play :(

If it's picking up a freeview signal then it won't work as it means you're on a DVB tuner, it needs to be on an analogue tuner to work properly. You could pick up a composite cable from ebay/amazon (they are pretty cheap) and that should technically work with both consoles as they have the same connector iirc.

Soldato
After tinkering with it today, one of the cables pick up freeview and the other didn't. I'm able to get the system to display but I think it's more a system issue now. Sometimes when I load a game up, it doesn't actually load properly, and just gives a black screen. Takes few resets to get the game running but it does work.

Back
Top Bottom