Sunday Trading

Soldato
I can't believe Sunday Trading is still a thing. Living in Scotland we haven't had it for years and I don't miss it one bit.

Yeah, what the hell? The government was STOPPING shops opening more than 6 hours on a Sunday?!? Seems mental, I thought in the past it was just shops being lazy buggers.

Anyway, glad it's scrapped.

Soldato
I agree. Sunday trading means people working. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to have one day of the week where people don't have to work. People working on Sundays splits families up.

I find the majority of people who are in favour of Sunday trading don't work on Sundays.

Will a business have the option for is they would like to open on a Sunday or not? If those who already open on a Sunday, stay open a few extra hours. I don't see how this will makes much difference to family life, as they would be at work anyway, just doing fewer hours?

Soldato
There are plenty of smaller shops that are open till 11pm on Sundays already... :confused:

That only sell pre-packaged rubbish at vastly inflated prices :p

I agree. Sunday trading means people working. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to have one day of the week where people don't have to work. People working on Sundays splits families up.

I find the majority of people who are in favour of Sunday trading don't work on Sundays.

Don't want to work on Sunday? Don't get a job that involves working on Sunday. Difficult concept I know! :p

Soldato
Yeah, they did!

It depends on who you work for and how long you've been there.

Old contract = premium.

New starters get nothing.

Oh really? That sucks. I used to get time and a half on Sundays and double time for bank holidays when I worked in retail. Was that the result of a change in legislation?

Soldato
And a Saturday isn't?

Both days are weekend days, the only difference being one used to be when people went to church.

Exactly.

Saturday and Sunday are both normal days.

What annoys me is the fact Banks close...12:30 on saturday and shut on sunday. Which is MORONIC as thats the only time people can go to them!

Caporegime
I can't believe Sunday Trading is still a thing. Living in Scotland we haven't had it for years and I don't miss it one bit.

Always confused the heck out of me when I went to England.
Still at least they open, in many European countries supermarkets are closed all sunday:eek:

Man of Honour
On the flipside have a fair few women friends on facebook who work in retail who are moaning about it today - their husband/partner (typically) works 9-5 mon-fri and they work i.e. atleast one of the days on the weekend often both depending on shifts so it erodes not insignificantly into the time they do get to do stuff as a family plus inevitably if it does become normal they'll be asked to increase their availability to cover the extra hours as well.

I'm not exactly inspired by the reasoning of the person behind it either heh:

"Anna Soubry is on a mission to cheer up Sundays and her solution is shopping."

"It was the most "miserable" day of the week and as far as she is concerned it was a myth that families came together on the day of rest."

Reads a bit delusional to me regardless of the merits or otherwise of extended Sunday opening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Eh? Our local Tesco Express and Sainsburys Local have basically all the same things that I'd buy at a big store, including fresh produce and meat. It's a little more expensive but it's otherwise the same?

The little local stores are 1/10th the size of the supermarkets, so it's pretty obvious they're not going to have the same range of products!

Back
Top Bottom