Strange Android cache / sdcard issue

Soldato
So the battery life on my Note 3 had been particulary terrible of late and no matter what I greenified it still remained rubbish. Remembering I'd not cleared the cache for a while I booted into recovery and cleared as I have done countless times before.

Nothing seemed to be wrong until I opened up the gallery app - it couldnt see any photos... it could see the different folders and the number of photos in those folders but not actually open any photos.

Quickpic didnt have this issue and can see / open the photos but it does come up with "unkown error code:unable to open database" The annoying thing is that now I cannot send any photos that are stored on my sdcard via whatsapp / fb etc. It can load them into the message window but not actually send them (just says sharing failed please try again).

The music thats on my sdcard plays fine and everything else seems normal but looks like by deleting the cache I've broken somthing somewhere!

Anyone come across anything similar? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just stock / 3e recovery. I'm not running a custom rom.. just wanted root for greenify/titanium and a few other things

Soldato
Tried re-formatting in the stock recovery?

If you want to delete caches etc in the future try using
SD MAID

I have been using it for quite some time and it works beautifully, especially as you are rooted.
It will run at set intervals too.

Try running SDMaid anyway. It may clear the problem.

Soldato
OP
Well no joy there - its really doing my head in as the files are all there - just not viewable via the gallery app due to the "unable to load photo" message. its like somthing has broke within android and its ability to handle images. definitly not sd card issue as it still happens without it.
Dont really want to factory reset but its looking like it might be the way...

Soldato
OP
Problem solved!

Was barking up completly the wrong tree though... for some reason when wiping the cache it unmounted the internal sdcard (i realised this when I found I couldnt download any files).

I could find it by going into file explorer (root explorer in my case) and setting it to R/W but this would only temporarily work so did a restorecon via terminal shell and all is well. :happybananadance:

Back
Top Bottom