100% Memory usage ?!

Associate
Hey guys. This isn't the first time I have experienced this problem but not it starting to **** me off. Earlier I was just casually browsing the web with only chrome and maybe 2-3 other things opened up (spotify and what not) which normally take about 10-15% of my memory at most (I've got 16GB DDR3) but then suddenly everything started lagging and the memory usage in Task Manager showed 98-100% usage.. which is very weird since I wasn't doing anything special. Even when I'm gaming it doesn't go higher than 60% most of the times.

This problem fixes after a reboot and doesn't come back for a while but it's quite annoying and worrying at time. I thought maybe I have a virus or something but I installed Malwarebytes - No threats. Cleaned stuff with ccleaner and even scaned with windows defender. Nothing comes up

So what is the problem ? how can i fix this ?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Check with RAMMap.

I had issues with windows indexing and chewing up all hd space and memory. Turns out some glitch with a game had spawned over 30million 1kb files, and windows wanted to index them all :S

Soldato
that bug or "feature" has been their since vista.
Index search going crazy indexing was always my cause. its also in W8.1.
i always turn it off now.

Caporegime
Standby cache memory is not a bug, it's to speed up disk reads.

but there is a bug, my friends laptop she never turns it off or reboots just goes to standby all the time via closing the lid.

every month or so she tells me her laptop is slow, I go around theres no free memory, takes 5minutes to open a browser.

reboot and all is well

Associate
OP
Here is an image. It's happening right now :D .. dammit

ix78k2.png

Soldato
Arker,

That will likely be memory leakage from an application, standby memory is reallocated when programs need it.

I have Windows servers that are sometimes not rebooted for weeks with no memory issues.

Gosmin,

Screen shot, Task Manager --> Performance --> Resource Monitor --> Memory, then the memory chart at the bottom of screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is all of your RAM being seen by Windows? Because I don't believe the figures displayed in your Task Manager picture. For instance, I don't see your browser mentioned.

I also note that you're at 48% disk usage - what's using the disk?

Associate
OP
Well, I have just restarted the PC since it was quite unusable like that but as I've said. nothing was requiring that much power. my disk wasn't being used by anything special in particular. haven't checked really.. And yes it did say 15.9GB of ram is being used out of 16GB

Soldato
What do you get if you click on the Details tab?

Also, if you right-click on the task manager you'll bring up the Select Columns chooser. Try adding the Memory (shared working set) and Commit Size counters.

Soldato
CosminGCole, there is a possibility your system is leaking memory from the non-paged pool, which would mean, if you were to look at counters displaying the size of processes working set (physical pages of memory belonging to a process), there wouldn't be anything appearing out of the ordinary.

If you click on the 'Performance' tab followed by navigating to the 'Memory' section, you can see if you do actually have a leak from non-paged pool. You may be interested in this thread here from last year, and more specifically this post here.

I suspect it was standby cached memory that was filling up, a screen shot would have confirmed it.

Pages on the standby page list are not counted within the 'Processes' - (Memory) counter. The latter representing processes working sets as mentioned above with the former contributing to 'Available' physical memory.

Back
Top Bottom