• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Caporegime
I opted for the 980ti because it's pretty much even performance with the 980 SLI which I already have.

Single card v SLI for same performance = no brainer.

2zrklr9.jpg

Hmm I think I'll need to research this some more.

Associate
2zrklr9.jpg

Hmm I think I'll need to research this some more.

It's not indicative of game performance . This is more so for those looking it true grunt . I would say a 980 SLI would net a few wins where CPU, res or Vram isn't the bottleneck but as an owner of 980SLI and 980ti SLI I'd say grab a single 980ti where cost appropriate .

Caporegime
Jubilee clips and barbs are far cheaper and just as reliable as a compression fitting although not as pretty to look at. Not sure I would have the balls to do undersized tubing and no clip like you have done even though I know it would probably be ok.

Trust me, once it's on and it's fairly easy to push on with the tubing heated up it's HARD to get off, most people on this forum would struggle physically to pull it off. 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs definitely needs holding though. 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs also looks a lot cleaner than jubilee clips and suchlike. The physical effort it takes to pull the tubing off is probably the one major downside.

Last edited:
Associate
Here is the problem: when you might need 980 sli? 1440p or 4k, resolutions were the 4gb of Vram limits you in some games, and will even more in the future.
I would get rid of the 980s while still have value.
Mi overclocked 970s were as fast as this Zotac Extreme @1500, but that's only for those games with good SLI profiles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Trust me, once it's on and it's fairly easy to push with the tubing heated up it's HARD to get off, most people on this forum would struggle physically to pull it off. 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs definitely needs holding though.

Oh I can totally believe that, I have to heat up my Primo LRT to get them on the same size compression so I can well imagine its a snug and tight fit dropping one size. :)

Soldato
Trust me, once it's on and it's fairly easy to push on with the tubing heated up it's HARD to get off, most people on this forum would struggle physically to pull it off. 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs definitely needs holding though. 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs also looks a lot cleaner than jubilee clips and suchlike. The physical effort it takes to pull the tubing off is probably the one major downside.

I can vouch for that. Once it is on, it is staying on. In saying that, I did put clips on anyway as it was my 1st wc project. But they really weren't necessary.

I do prefer compressions now for looks and for ease of use. But they are expensive.

Caporegime
Firestrike is not really reflective of actual gaming performance. An aftermarket 980ti with a bit of an OC comes quite close indeed to SLI 980s in some games.

I didn't say it was, it was just an example.. However in 90% of the benchmarks the 980 SLI dominates the 980 ti. Remember my 980 is highly overclocked too!

I suppose I could look for a second hand 980, rather than new :eek:

Soldato
I didn't say it was, it was just an example.. However in 90% of the benchmarks the 980 SLI dominates the 980 ti. Remember my 980 is highly overclocked too!

I suppose I could look for a second hand 980, rather than new :eek:

On Tuesday I'll have both SLI 980s and a 980ti so I could do some benchmarks for you if you like.

And if you're looking for a 2nd hand 980, check my sig. :cool:

Associate
On Tuesday I'll have both SLI 980s and a 980ti so I could do some benchmarks for you if you like.

And if you're looking for a 2nd hand 980, check my sig. :cool:

When I try to view the link in your siggy it says I dont have access. How do I get access?

BTW I have just ordered the KFA Hall Of Fame 980TI, no idea when OC will get stock though :)

Back
Top Bottom