New LED Street Lamps

Soldato
Anyone had these put in their area recently?

Had all the street lights nearby here replaced from a bright pale orange to some crappy white LEDs - you can't see bugger all at night now!

I guess I can see the reasoning for them, with LED bulbs being much cheaper to power, but the lumen output of them is shockingly bad, the streets feel too dark at night now!

Soldato
OP
Our ones must be faulty then, because they're definitely crap - looking out the window its completely black unless you really try to look for them whereas before you could see the orange glow a mile off!

Soldato
Yup, I have one bolted to the wall outside my bedroom window. I had really bad sleep for about a week until I put up another pair of curtains.

The light might be brighter, but it doesn't have that warm diffuse glow of sodium. These new led things seem to be a lot more localised with their light pattern.

Man of Honour
One of the ones down the road has been done - took me awhile to work it out as it looks like pale moonlight at first.

Soldato
Yep, most of Sheffield is done now.

We have one outside our house and it's way way better than the old sodium one. The light shines down with almost no light diffused to the sides, so the bedrooms are darker, but the light given off is a vast improvement.

When I get dropped off in a taxi, I don't even need the interior light on to pick out the right key.

Soldato
We've got some opposite us, they're bright but they cover a really small radius.

Only annoyance is the design/distance on two of them means the 'light' is a bright spot in the window, luckily they seem to die quite frequently :)

Soldato
They've started rolling them out in the surrounding villages but not mine. Can't stand the orange ones as they give me the most monstrous headaches, so i'm all for LED street lights. They also seem to be FAR brighter which is a bonus.

Caporegime
Going by comments, it would seem the rollout is not consistent, assume that different types of lamps are being used in different areas.

Soldato
Had them fitted in my road last year. Cast a bright light into my kids bedroom so the other half phoned and complained, they came a fitted a shade/hood thing which pitches the light down more a few days later which did the trick.
Good imho but you have to wonder about the economics of replacing a working light with one of these, with all the costs involved I struggle to imagine it paying for itself soon.

Caporegime
Had them fitted in my road last year. Cast a bright light into my kids bedroom so the other half phoned and complained, they came a fitted a shade/hood thing which pitches the light down more a few days later which did the trick.
Good imho but you have to wonder about the economics of replacing a working light with one of these, with all the costs involved I struggle to imagine it paying for itself soon.

Working? Isn't it just the lamp head they replace?

Sodium is all round crap compared to LED, if only to compare the Energy saving, lighting the country up costs us 20% of all usage... I think we can cut a bit back at the immediate expense.

Back
Top Bottom