Sleep and storage drive questions

Associate
Got a laptop last week and still deciding what to do with it.

1. Sleep or not?

I use my laptop a lot but I'm away from it for say 5-10 minutes frequently. Do I just shut the screen off (laptop has Fn + F7 key for this) or do I set it to Sleep?

2. Storage drive - turn it off or leave on?

The laptop also has a storage drive (OS on SSD) and I've set the power plan to never turn off the hard disks after inactivity has occured.

My idea here is that accessing the storage drive 4/5 times a day (e.g. when I use it) will wear it out more than if I just keep it active the whole time, right? I know I'm probably wasting more power but not a lot for a HD that might save it in the long run.

Also, say I do have Sleep on my laptop, what happens to the storage drive? Does that power down which makes setting it to never spin down worthless?

Thanks

Soldato
Can't see the point with sleep and an SSD that can cold boot to OS under 10secs

You can keep applications/files open with sleep mode.

I use my laptop a lot but I'm away from it for say 5-10 minutes frequently. Do I just shut the screen off (laptop has Fn + F7 key for this) or do I set it to Sleep?

Either or really. Sleep mode will save more power.

The laptop also has a storage drive (OS on SSD) and I've set the power plan to never turn off the hard disks after inactivity has occured.

My idea here is that accessing the storage drive 4/5 times a day (e.g. when I use it) will wear it out more than if I just keep it active the whole time, right? I know I'm probably wasting more power but not a lot for a HD that might save it in the long run.

You won't wear the HDD out like that, I'd just leave the power setting enabled. Odds are that it won't spin down often anyway if it's being frequently accessed.

Back
Top Bottom