Project: Old Dogs

Associate
Really I just wanted some feedback on my attempt at cable management in an old case. There's a couple of problems caused by the case:

1) It's impossible to route PSU cables behind the motherboard tray... I cheated and put them behind the board itself

2) The front buttons/USB cables in the case are annoyingly short meaning they cant be routed along an edge :(

3) The hard drives face the old fashioned way with the connections towards the motherboard

4) I have a PCI-E SATA controller adding a bit of mess, the board doesn't support SATA3

However, given those challenges I think I did a fair job :)

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome

Specs in sig. There's a 750Ti in there as a stop gap until my 980Ti Hybrid arrives :)

comp.jpg

Spoiler tags aren't allowed so I've removed them.

Surveyor

Last edited:
Soldato
One tip I'd give would be to zip tie all of those lower cables together, so they form one cleaner line rather than the current mess of them. I see you've got some velcro straps on there, but it'd look much tidier with loads of skinny zip ties holding them all tight. :)

Associate
OP
Cheers, I've only just found out you can get extension cables for USB and front panels. I've bought some nice black ones and I'll be able to run the ugly grey/multi coloured ones down the front of the case :)

I've also bought some longer SATA cables with the intention of running the ones connected to the PCIE expansion card behind the motherboard. I realised if I can find a SATA power -> Molex converter I can remove the molex power entirely, all it's being used for is powering the fan controller.

One of the cables you can see at the bottom there is the 2nd 6/8 pin PCI-E VGA power connector, I routed it behind the motherboard for when my 980ti arrives next week :)

edit: just found a sata->molex converter! this should sort out the mess of cables at the bottom.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
An update:

comp1.jpg

Changes:

No 4 pin molex power connector as I managed to get a SATA power -> 4 pin converter, this removes an entire cable from the PSU

Longer SATA cables routed behind the motherboard

Black front panel extension cables allowing them to be routed better

All SATA cables are now black rather than mixed grey and black.

The spare PCI-E cable is waiting there until my 980ti eventually arrives

Associate
OP
Time to treat yourself to a new case dude!

Seriously, you have no cable management options so there's nothing you can do unless you want to get into fabricating new panels and shrouds from acrylic or the like.

I'd like a new case for this reason but I've yet to find anything that is aesthetically better from the exterior than the CM Stacker 830 so I'd rather have pretty exterior with a slightly messy interior.

Back
Top Bottom