Settling a petty debate... your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
In days gone by I'd have rather paid the extra (though I'd have laughed and told them to pull another one if they'd turned up and doubled the price) than haggle which I'd have found socially awkward. Could be your room mate is similar (though I wouldn't have expected room mates to pay any extra/would have covered it myself).

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
It's £30 - not worth quibbling over in the first place. Pay up and then rib him about it in jest.

This exactly. I think one of the biggest things I've learnt as I've hit my 20s as opposed to being a teenager is pick your battles. Pragmatism is much more important than simply being correct in the real world.

Soldato
Might just be my work head on but a quote is a quote, you don't get halfway through and revise it - that's your problem if you underestimated and didn't realise before starting.

Giving the bloke double without challenge (or agreement from other) is absolutely pathetic and your housemate is a knob.

That said, if you wanted control of the situation, you should have organised it yourself. This is a lesson I also learnt at uni in a house share - you can't offload the responsibility of something to someone else, then get the hump on when they don't do it exactly to your liking. If it bothers you that much, do it yourself in the first place.

Associate
OP
It's £30 - not worth quibbling over in the first place. Pay up and then rib him about it in jest.

The money is irrelevant - I am basically looking for an apology and to be vindicated

And regarding "lacking the stones". That's definitely not the case at all... my housemate had organised the whole thing, had the cash in his hand and was briefed to haggle. He's hardly a dork and the assumption was he would get some money knocked off ... given I had reminded him to do it as he walked out.

Instead of even attempting to do it, he used the phrase, unprompted, "I can't be bothered to haggle with you... here's the full price".

Soldato
Simply text this to the removal chap and all will be well:

Being the honourable man that I am, I have a deal to strike with you, the junk removal engineer extraordinaire. I will require a refund of 80 pounds and I wish to receive a text from you, the junk removal engineer, apologising for your extra-curricular pricing behaviour yesterday. If I receive this text without qualification, the deal is struck and you shall retain the extra 10 pounds as a goodwill gesture. Only then will I renew my friendship with Jon-Paul and believe this deal was secured at fair, sensible and rational value. Perhaps then I can finally finished putting stuff in the washing machine. Yours, Army of Harmony.

Associate
OP
Might just be my work head on but a quote is a quote, you don't get halfway through and revise it - that's your problem if you underestimated and didn't realise before starting.

Giving the bloke double without challenge (or agreement from other) is absolutely pathetic and your housemate is a knob.

That said, if you wanted control of the situation, you should have organised it yourself. This is a lesson I also learnt at uni in a house share - you can't offload the responsibility of something to someone else, then get the hump on when they don't do it exactly to your liking. If it bothers you that much, do it yourself in the first place.

I agree entirely... frankly I didn't think we should get the waste removed until we moved out... as it was not a problem and not getting in the way. The two big items were not mine (mattress, exercise bike). I got rid of my mattress last year myself by paying the council £30... I didn't get that fee split.

Associate
The guy told our housemate it was double after loading half the stuff into the truck. I wasn't anywhere near when he said the price was double but did overhear the guy saying the price was going to be more expensive. It was only after this the double price was revealed at which point i said make sure you haggle.

I would have told him to unload the van. Next time tell your housemate to grow some balls.

Associate
OP
Forgetting the first part of the story (not haggling), which I believe my housemate thinks he's wrong about...

The text message he sent has totally irradiated and honour in the gesture of paying extra... thoughts? That's the main bit we're arguing about to be honest.

I would offer to pay extra, without any conditions.

He's asking for me to send a text message, stating stuff I don't agree with at all.

Man of Honour
The money is irrelevant - I am basically looking for an apology and to be vindicated

If it bothers you that much pay up and say you feel a bit bummed you had to pay more. Then whatever his response is drop it - if he still isn't apologetic in the way you desire, perhaps he was justified in saying other quotes were higher? Really who cares just try and put the atmosphere back how it was before the whole incident. If you can't do that for the sake of £30 then it is you who is harming yourself.

Associate
Him asking you to apologise makes him even look like a bigger fanny than he already is. Tell him to do one. He couldn't haggle. And he texts you that. Haha.

Associate
OP
If it bothers you that much pay up and say you feel a bit bummed you had to pay more. Then whatever his response is drop it - if he still isn't apologetic in the way you desire, perhaps he was justified in saying other quotes were higher? Really who cares just try and put the atmosphere back how it was before the whole incident. If you can't do that for the sake of £30 then it is you who is harming yourself.

That would certainly be the right thing to do...

but this is a house obsessed with shows like Question Time. Arguments are just part of the everyday running of the house :)

My housemate is purporting that he is the bastion of honour. I am saying he is not. His text message proves that. I have said I would have offered to pay more, without conditions - Which I believe is the more honourable of the two options.

Associate
OP
Forgetting the first part of the story (not haggling), which I believe my housemate thinks he's wrong about...

The text message he sent has totally irradiated any honour in the gesture of offering to pay extra... thoughts? That's the main bit we're arguing about to be honest.

I would offer to pay extra, without any conditions.

He's asking for me to send a text message, stating stuff I don't agree with at all.

Soldato
lol He's an idiot (and hes a woman as well it sounds like) So not only are you guys paying this chap £180 to take away some junk in his truck you actually helped him load the stuff on the truck! :D Furthermore he can sell some of this stuff for more profits £££ :D Bwahahaaa!!

lol you could have hired a mini skip for £50 = job done.

I have these beans for sale...magic beans actually.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom