Bad driving culture in our country

Soldato
Today another car accident, 4 dead :(

62 overall this year compared to 50 at same time last year.

When you look how drivers are alligning at car crash, you just get :rolleyes:

http://www.zurnal24.si/tudi-ob-dana...ozadili-na-pravilno-razvrstitev-clanek-253263

it's not in english, but you can see the video and how make don't make way to ambulance and fire department response teams :(

One driver who was driver of gas tank, even escaped.

How do you tourist who pass through Slovenija, see our roads?

I think we have too few Police controlls etc......

In my 18 years I have been stopped only 3 times.

Soldato
Indeed, driving in the UK does seem to a reasonable standard compared to many other places in the world I have visited.
You do of course get the odd muppet, some days plenty of them, but by and large things are generally not too bad.

Soldato
OP
Do you guys in UK have regular driving test at driving school? I mean, you need to refresh every 5-10years your driving skills + your knowing of rules?

Soldato
No, once qualified, that's you currently.
Different classes for different types of vehicle, so if you change vehicle or wish to tow a trailer, or drive a larger van, then you need to take that test also. Same for motorbikes.

Man of Honour
Do you guys in UK have regular driving test at driving school? I mean, you need to refresh every 5-10years your driving skills + your knowing of rules?

No. But you do need to take another test at age 70 and also in the first few years of driving if you get enough points on your license. But most people won't take another test until they are 70.

Soldato

Nope, once you've passed, that's it.

Which given the sometimes poor standards of driving on our roads, should be changed. I'd be in favour of compulsory re-tests every 10 years. After all, surely you're still a good driver with 10 years experience, right? ;)

Soldato
OP
Hm, that's weird....you get a diploma at school but your whole life you need to learn other stuff etc, but for driving a potencially weapon = car....you get license for life....

i don't know what our goverment is thinking....i do support regular test every 5-10 years.

Soldato
Not sure what I'm seeing in the videos.

They are giving way in the centre of the lanes instead of letting emergency vehicles pass on the hard shoulder?

AJK

AJK

Associate
The UK driving test (and probably most other countries, for that matter) is a joke anyway. Doesn't teach you how to drive on motorways, doesn't teach you how to handle skids, any poor conditions other than the occasional drizzle... doesn't equip you in any useful way for actual road driving, just a few basic maneuvers and changing gear.

Soldato
It's terrible the world over, it's just too easy to pass or someone is letting idiots through to fill some sort of quota. Unfortunately for some, you only need to look good once.

I know someone who drove drunk, did a u-turn in the middle of traffic, destroyed part of the front wheel assembly by misjudging a corner, fail to pull over when a police car flashed it's lights and sounded it's siren multiple times until it clicked that yes, you're being pulled over. That's only some of the stuff.

One acquaintance I'll refuse to be a passenger in their car because of how distracted they get, they went right through a yellow stop line when another car could've T-boned him.

Another thinks they know how their car handles enough to speed but fails to realise that on small country lanes it's not just about you, someone else could come around that blind corner and you have no room to stop.

If I had a dash-cam I'd have stuff every time I went out for a drive :|

Soldato
Italy and India pop into my mind as absolute hell... England is fine, just a lot of very thick people in the country.

Mind you, driving in India, if you have an ounce of common sense, it's fine. Italy... People are just rude and think they are gods gift.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any time you think driving in the UK is poor you should look up russian dashcams on ********.

That kind of insanity doesn't even happen when people are drunk in the uk.

Soldato
Italy and India pop into my mind as absolute hell... England is fine, just a lot of very thick people in the country.

Mind you, driving in India, if you have an ounce of common sense, it's fine. Italy... People are just rude and think they are gods gift.

A driver in India said if you can drive there you can drive anywhere :p

Within inches of each other then again at low speeds but still better prepared for another country, well except no idea of traffic lights, roundabouts etc but that is easy anyway :p

Soldato
No. But you do need to take another test at age 70 and also in the first few years of driving if you get enough points on your license. But most people won't take another test until they are 70.

Erm, I don't think so.
You have to renew your licence then, as if it had expired.
There isn't a test element.

Soldato
A driver in India said if you can drive there you can drive anywhere :p

Within inches of each other then again at low speeds but still better prepared for another country, well except no idea of traffic lights, roundabouts etc but that is easy anyway :p

I rode an old Royal Enfield out there! Only issue I had was people not understanding the concept of indicators. The rest, was just expecting every single thing on the road to kill you. Including the cows.

Soldato

Nah India is so much worse than Italy. You get people driving on the wrong side of the road, in the dark with no lights on. I prefer to pay no attention to what my driver is doing in India, as watching the road is too stressful!

Soldato
But we still have around 3000 fatalities a year on our roads.

Wouldn't it be lovely instead of scrapped ID card schemes, and mass internet surveillance and other huge wastes of money, we could actually look into *further* improving driving standards to maybe drive that down to 2000 a year?

Then you could have ~1000 families per year not having to go through the trauma and pain and expense of losing a loved one just because they wanted to be somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom