RMT to ballot for strike action.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I would just to with making the union and its members liable for the compensation claims.

What compensation?

Claimant:- "I was late for an important meeting and missed out on a £1000 contract".
Union:- "Claim rejected - should have set off walking 15 mins earlier".

Man of Honour
What compensation?

Claimant:- "I was late for an important meeting and missed out on a £1000 contract".

So the union has no real grasp of the service offered by its members, sounds about right.

You heard it here first - every tube journey can be completed by walking instead.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

[TW]Fox;28307255 said:
So the union has no real grasp of the service offered by its members, sounds about right.

You heard it here first - every tube journey can be completed by walking instead.

I visit London 15-20 times a year - never been on the tube in 10 years (that includes walking form Euston to Victoria numerous times) - esp since the Boris bikes were introduced. Besides, if you had a meeting on the day of a strike you'd just re-schedule anyway.

The tube is hardly a critical service that can't sustain a few days outage.

Man of Honour
I visit London 15-20 times a year - never been on the tube in 10 years (that includes walking form Euston to Victoria numerous times) - esp since the Boris bikes were introduced.

Whoa, you walked from Euston to Victoria? Insane, thats a whole 3 miles!

Meanwhile, you might notice that the tube extends beyond the central London that defines most of us non-Londoners visits to the capital.

Bit of a walk into town from Epping, no?

The tube is hardly a critical service

Is it not, perhaps even more questions need to be asked as to why we pay operators £50,000 a year to do a job where they have less control and less direct effect on passenger safety than a London bus driver does, then.

Man of Honour
What compensation?

Court:- claim accepted, pay up for the consequences of your lawbreaking. Liability is joint between union and members who took part in the illegal strike.

Remember, this was in response to if striking was more restricted and the strike proceeded anyway.

Your total disregard for the consequences of union activity shows exactly why the public should be able, by proxy of mps, to apply limits and constraints to that activity.

Soldato
Provided there are tubes from 9.30pm on the Thursday I won't be too bothered because everyone goes out for a drink on a Thursday anyway!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Court:- claim accepted, pay up for the consequences of your lawbreaking. Liability is joint between union and members who took part in the illegal strike.

In order to make a successful claim, you need to demonstrate a real loss - I'm dubious if there would be any such cases.

I also find it amusing that under the Tories new "50% + 1" voting strike restriction the strike would have still gone ahead :D

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28307307 said:
Is it not, perhaps even more questions need to be asked as to why we pay operators £50,000 a year to do a job where they have less control and less direct effect on passenger safety than a London bus driver does, then.
Yeah I was thinking about this. Every comment about money gets a response like 'oh you're just jealous' but the reality is it has a very big impact of the operating costs, and therefore the ticket prices. Wonder why tickets have to go up every year? Selfish money grabbing strikers, that's why.

Caporegime
I visit London 15-20 times a year - never been on the tube in 10 years (that includes walking form Euston to Victoria numerous times) - esp since the Boris bikes were introduced. Besides, if you had a meeting on the day of a strike you'd just re-schedule anyway.

The tube is hardly a critical service that can't sustain a few days outage.

You do know the tubes go out of zone 1 right?

I'm a major advocate of walking from place to place in zone 1 (Victoria/Oxford Street/Regents Park/Covent Garden/Trafalgar Square/Embankment etc are all within walking distance. Uxbridge/Heathrow and Stanmore are not however...

Caporegime
What compensation?

Claimant: I couldn't get to work on the 5th August as I couldn't carry my work tools the 20 miles to do my job. Unfortunately that meant I wasn't paid...

Associate
Read an article from one of the drivers on why they are striking. He made the point it is very little to do with pay and more that they are changing their required hours to allow for the all-night tube service later in the year. His belief was that TFL didn't actually want the all night tube and know the drivers won't accept the changes so are pushing the bad press onto them.

Might not be 100% true but if it is then fair play to them - sounds like a drastic change to their terms and conditions and I wouldn't accept it in their position either.

Back
Top Bottom