MATX air cooled gaming rig

Associate
OP
Nice job.
Do wish i could do stuff like this :D
Thanks Andy

Attach straps and u got a backpack
True. :D

Wish i had the ability and the tools to try somthing like this looks good :)
If I can get into this anyone could but it does take time, can't believe it was 2008 when I started making scratch builds, 7 years. :eek:
Suppose if I made more than 1 a year I'd be even better by now.

PSU height allowance, in the design it allowed for 1mm space between the psu cover & the psu but with doing a curve & a bend it curved better on the right side (front) than the left, as it is right now the psu just about squeezes in with some force.

My solution is to just add another layer behind the fan mount, rather do that than have to remake some panels.
MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig32.jpg

Associate
I'd love to do a scratch build, I have a idea in mind I just never have enough time these days. Jeez I'm still working on my first build that started two years ago, although its more of an upgrade.

I'm playing around with sketchup, its great for messing about with designs. Do you use it a lot? I guess you are doing it all to scale and then somehow printing off the parts to fab?

Associate
OP
I'd love to do a scratch build, I have a idea in mind I just never have enough time these days. Jeez I'm still working on my first build that started two years ago, although its more of an upgrade.

I'm playing around with sketchup, its great for messing about with designs. Do you use it a lot? I guess you are doing it all to scale and then somehow printing off the parts to fab?

I won't lie first one unless you have some experience is hard & frustrating but it does get easier the more you do.
Sketchup is awesome, I do the design in 3d & then make it all printer ready by flattening all pieces to 2d & then printing them on sticker sheet, slice & tack them together if bigger than a4 paper & get on with it, takes all the manual marking effort out & leaves the actual drilling/cutting back to manual, before I figured out how to print the markings it used to take ages just doing the marking.

Done the HDD mount, the HDD is mounted to a 3mm sheet & just slots in place.
MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig33.jpg

How it's looking now. :)
MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig34.jpg

To do.

Front USB & power button (40mm marble).
Case feet, 2x 10mm square bars on both sides.
Surface & edge finishing.
Think that's it.

Associate
OP
Woah, how fast do you work on this. It looks fantastic and I couldn't see the issue and I'm pretty good at being OCD.

Love the way the fands blend into the build, keep up the good work:D

It's on track to be faster than my first scratch build. :D
Thanks.

Change of plan for the front IO, made a cover piece to hide the intended marble button & USB holes in favour of a normal vandal switch, why? I messed up on the tube piece & had no spare tube & wasn't willing to order more.

MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig35.jpg

MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig36.jpg

To do.

Surface & edge finishing.
System install.

Associate
OP
My brother borrowed my tripod so these shots will have to do until I get it back, it's up & running & very quiet. :)

MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig37.jpg

MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig38.jpg

MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig39.jpg

MATX%20air%20cooled%20gaming%20rig40.jpg

Spec
Corsair AX860i
Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
Intel Core i5 4690K
Noctua NH-D14
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti
256GB Samsung pro SSD
1TB WD black HDD
2x Enermax UCTB12 T.B.Silence Case Fans in custom frame

Idle temperatures & room temp is 27c.
Capture.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I absolutely love this, but can't help but think that the heatsink looks a little out of place. I'm not sure why though. Please don't take this negatively, this build is brilliant!

Thanks mate, the heat sink is a dominating presence for sure but it keeps the CPU & system nice & cool.

Last minute decision to paint the Noctua fans a metallic black, added the silverstone cable extensions & cleaned finger print smudges off surfaces, just waiting for my tripod now to do a final photo shoot, probably tomorrow now, depends if my bro gets back with my tripod.

Back
Top Bottom