Post Your Chicken Strips

Soldato
Other than a little shoulder drop slight leg extension I've never even tried to put my knee down, nor seen a need to on the road. All the tyre is still used up!

Edit - opps accidentally 'posted' this in the report post section instead of reply!

Soldato
Double the speed limit for a knee down? what are you trying to do lol, you can get your knee down under 30mph easy.
Rarely do it on the road now unless I am trying to teach people who want to learn how to do it, the whole point of knee down is to gauge how low you are getting, so if you are using all of the tyre you are more than enough over to get your knee down, but in reality 90% of riders don't know the correct body position, and the body position isn't about getting your knee down its about getting your weight over for more effective cornering, you stick your knee out to make sure you ain't going to overuse the tyre, but this is all relevant on the road anyway.

Can the people who are making fun of knee downers actually get their knee down themselves....? I joke I joke ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I meant in order to need to put my knee down I will need to be doing silly speeds on the road, so I've never even tried it.

I know you can get your knee down at low speeds by forcing it and looking like a frog, but it's pointless, no?

Soldato
Anyone forcing their knee out doesn't know what they are doing so yeah that's pointless, there is no forcing involved with proper body position and a proper knee out.

People forcing their knee out at the ones that think just sticking your knee out 90 degrees is how it works and then wonder why they never get their knee down... or the ones who end up on their arse roundabout surfing :p

IC3

IC3

Soldato
In my case the foot pegs are a barrier to actually putting my knee down, I'm could probably get to the point just before the pegs starting to scrape and forcing my knee down. But that's a bit pointless in my opinion... On a sports bike going lower onto my knee would probably be a lot easier than it is on my naked bioke.

Soldato
Never scraped the pegs on the CB400, done a toe slider but only when riding with my feet not on the pegs properly (balls of foot on peg). And as you can see I've not got any chicken strips!

The pegs are pretty high I think, looking at it I'd start grinding the exhaust before the pegs!

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I'll take some pictures of the pegs, there's some weird rounded thing sticking out from under the peg. I think that's like a safety feature to not go too low? Not sure what's its for, I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

BTW Storm AGAIN.... this weather... :mad:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
They are called hero blobs,you can unscrew them

That's it, I have these on my pegs...

Edit:

I met this club couple days ago, totally forgot about it and only just remembered what they were called today.

http://www.hbam.org.uk/ - £150 a year, they said that 125's are also allowed in. Is anyone a part of a club or has done it in the past?

Last edited:
Associate
That's it, I have these on my pegs...

Edit:

I met this club couple days ago, totally forgot about it and only just remembered what they were called today.

http://www.hbam.org.uk/ - £150 a year, they said that 125's are also allowed in. Is anyone a part of a club or has done it in the past?

Buckinghamshire Fire Service put on a Bike Down course which I found very useful and they recommended I come along to the New Rider course (also free of charge).

It was basically just a one on one ride with a guy who'd been riding for 40+ years. Despite being in his 60's he didn't hold back on his 1400 Kawi!!

It was basically an intro into riding with a club and getting into advanced riding techniques. They meet up 3 times a month and like the one you've come across was about £150. Think it was called Aylesbury Advanced Motorcyclists.

Also tempted to join just to learn a bit more :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Buckinghamshire Fire Service put on a Bike Down course which I found very useful and they recommended I come along to the New Rider course (also free of charge).

It was basically just a one on one ride with a guy who'd been riding for 40+ years. Despite being in his 60's he didn't hold back on his 1400 Kawi!!

It was basically an intro into riding with a club and getting into advanced riding techniques. They meet up 3 times a month and like the one you've come across was about £150. Think it was called Aylesbury Advanced Motorcyclists.

Also tempted to join just to learn a bit more :)

I'll see if I can go to 1 meet to see how it is, then depending on what they do I might join them. :)

Soldato
Hero Blobs right doqwn and last set of tyres zero chicken strips once I'd done some laps of Oulton Park. the one thing though, my position was wrong for getting knee down. I was pivoting around the tank and needed to move back slightly.

TBH, everyone wants to do it but if no reason to do it, who cares. I wanna now do it to not have to lean the bike over so far... and my moving your weight to move the bike it makes more sense... for me, I wanted to get the confidence to nail the bike over as far as I could... scrap the boot protectors, hero blobs off... etc then once I've gone as far as I can that way then learn to lean and use weight more, which would then lead to knee down action.

When I get the bike back soon and book another Oulton Park day that will be my task... not bothered about going quicker... wanna learn my positioning better.

Soldato
I agree about people being obsessed with strips, it's a little bit of fun talking about them but it should not push new riders to do things they are not comfortable with. Ride within your ability and no more, anyone who genuinely takes the mick about strips is a Grade A **** and should be ignored. On the road there are far more important disciplines to focus on over lean angle! (IE - Not dying)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Ok, my tyres are square and my thread is on the limit within the legal thread norm.

Here are the tyres available for in my sizes... within my budget. :)

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact
Metzeler Sportec M7 RR - Better than M5's?
Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmart II
Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S20 (EVO)
Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 PRO
Bridgestone Battlax BT-090 PRO

Previously on here most votes went for Pirelli Diablo Rosso's II

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom