My 2 day mini tour of Wales - Thoughts

Soldato
**Long post alert!!** :D

So as per an old thread of mine, I had been thinking of doing a little solo mini tour across to wales for a while, I had all this week off work and was keeping an eye on the weather...

Well... I'm currently sat in my B&B room in Barmouth writing this after riding 440 miles today :eek::D

Thought I'd start this thread while today's thoughts are fresh in my mind, this was partially 2 days away riding great roads, and partially a tester for future, longer tours.

I'll post my route up when I get home tomorrow, but basically it was m25, m4 into Wales (the boring bit), then up the wye valley road, across into the Brecon beacons, criss-crossing south then back north, then up to Aberystwyth along the a44, then the a487 to dolgellau and finally to Barmouth. More about the roads later ;)

Sat nav: I used Google maps, with a custom route created in 'my maps' with checkpoints. This should have meant simply clicking the next checkpoint, navigating there and with the right checkpoints Google maps would choose the route I wanted. Good intentions...

Now, Wales isn't lacking in stunning roads, breathtaking scenery, or 500ft drops on corners with kamikaze sheep, but one thing it is severely lacking in, is decent mobile data reception. I had foreseen this and had download all the areas so that maps would have them offline, but what I didn't forsee was that for some, stupid reason, Google maps needs a data connection to be able to navigate.:mad: cue several attempts during the day of checking my phone only to see a "G" symbol which was useless as no matter what maps wouldn't navigate with a sub par connection.

So first thought, buy a proper sat nav!! Navfree or similar don't need data but afaik you can't load custom routes. So that's a TomTom rider on my shopping list.

Now, the roads. Brecon vs Snowdonia (ish), south vs middlenorthish. Or kamikaze sheep vs stunning valley roads. :D

First, the Brecon beacons. Fantastic roads, and great scenery, just watch out for the sheep which cross the road all in their own time, while saying "deal with it :cool:" a motorbike or car approaching at 60ish mph doesn't faze them :p

However the best that Brecon and the south had to offer pales into insignificance compared to the 2 roads in the north I rode; the a44 and the a487. Holy mother of God these roads are utterly amazing! I didn't get any photos today of these 2 roads as I was pressing on a little trying to make up time lost faffing around with the sat nav, but I'll make sure me grab some tomorrow, as my route home just so happens to go back this way! The a44 clings to a valleyside and the longest straight must have been about 200 yards! It's just endless bend after bend after twist after turn after kink... Just seems to keep going on and on too, it's not one of those roads you wish was longer.

The a487 is shorter but just as twisty, and has views to die for. Replace the slate on the mountain sides with snow and you could be in the Alps. Pine forests clinging to 45 degree slopes on one side with river plateaus on the valley floor on the other.

Properly knocked my socks off these 2 roads did, without a doubt the best roads I've ever ridden. Sorry, Brecon beacons, you just can't compete. I'll be coming back here for certain.

Other stuff: I had a kriega r30 on my back and a small tank bag, the kriega does take a lot of the weight off your shoulders but mine are still aching tonight, so for longer trips bike mounted luggage is a must.

Mileage: 170 of the 440 miles of today's total was motorway, I left Kent at 7am and was in Chepstow by 9:45. It still took me until 6:45pm to do the remaining 270 miles, including about an hour of stops plus satnav faffing. I wouldn't want to do a nearly 12 hour day but it's good to know I can do them. The worst bit was the motorway, at least on the twisty roads you can move around on the bike (need to do this to prevent numb bum). Oh and remember I'm doing this on an unfaired Honda CB400.

As I said, I'll update with photos and tomorrow's fun when I'm home, I'm also doing the a483 going home so it should be rather fun :D apologies for any bad speeling as I'm writing this on a tablet.

I'll leave you with a taster photo, only phone camera so not the best quality.
WcqV4bDl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do you mean the a470 over the mountain? I might add it to tomorrow instead of redoing the a487. Although there's I've only just touched Snowdonia so I'll need to come back for a few days to properly take it all in.

Caporegime
I think so,I'm not sure with road names,but it does go up and over the mountain on the main road into barmouth,the mountain might be called the dinnas

Roads around Letchworth slatemine are good as well,good steep mountainous views

Soldato
OP
So as promised, some photos.

The first mountain road over the top
18955901216_6f02d37476_c.jpg

Not a bad spot to stop for a burger
18955898816_70d2f06b00_c.jpg

18976751822_fc2e0ec45d_c.jpg

Scenery to die for
18985149391_8a110d56f4_c.jpg

Top of the Rhigos mountain road
18794448450_315f9b55cb_c.jpg

The road up to it
18982128525_34712a2bfa_c.jpg

And the road down the other side
18359560324_1a093e3c95_c.jpg

The last road over the Beacons on day one
18795927119_f0fdb39bb3_c.jpg

And finally, the view from my B&B door at the overnight stop in Barmouth
18794439240_3c2d104e88_c.jpg

Soldato
OP
Day 2:

The Dinas-Mawddwy pass (good shout Wazza!)
18982116335_a63159798f_c.jpg

The A44. What a road! It follows a valley then crosses over into another valley the follows that, you can see the line where the road hugs the hillside.
18982109835_34af1cd28d_c.jpg

Same spot, looking backwards
18794428670_c5af87b1ef_c.jpg

And some more A44
18976726672_5760779e77_c.jpg

Soldato
OP
The route: Day 1
CueCR77.jpg

Day 2
ifTNx2C.jpg

This was on top of the 160 miles of M25 and M4 to get there and back, in total I did 805 miles, with 440 miles the first day.

I now know 400 miles in a day is too, although what broke me was the 160 miles of motorway - on the way back the traffic was horrendous, I left Tintern Abbey just outside Chepstow just after 4pm, so was cross the Severn bridge no later than 4:30, but I didn't get home until 8pm :eek:

I had to stop 3 times in that 3.5 hours as my arse was in tatters :p I think if I was going to do any long distance tours a more comfy bike would be needed, my legs were a little folded up too much and the seat was only good for an hour and a half max before severe numb bum kicked in.

So yeah, that's about it. I got home last night and was nearly dead - the 3.5 hours of motorway slog took it out on me and I'm very achy today.

I will say anyone going into north Wales from the M4, the best route by far is past Chepstow, onto the Wye valley road, then avoiding the dual carraigeway, take the B4598 through Raglan Rhaglan - Route into Wales - the Wye valley road is a corker, and the B4598 has some brilliant bends on it that will server as a warm up for the main event to come :D From there, you can head into the Brecon Beacons, or (as I'd do), take the A40, A479, the A470 north to join the A483 (amazing road too) then once you hit Newtown, head for Aberystwyth along the A470 then onto the A44, you won't be disappointed!!!

On a final note, remember to take sun cream, my neck was in danger of getting burnt, the only bit of skin exposed but you don't think about that!

Oh and if you want to get rid of your chicken strips, Wales is the place to do it! :D

Early in the trip:
18957064106_29fb0730df_c.jpg

At the end: what chicken strips!!! :D
18983293995_6806810365_c.jpg

18983418625_19645bc86f_c.jpg

Soldato
OP
Getting lost is how you find the best places.

Very much this... of course I did have a plan and a route - but it's nice to go for a ride sometimes with the aim of getting lost, discovering some new roads/scenery. You can always find your way back to somewhere you know in the UK, it's not like the US or Europe where getting lost would mean camping out in the wilderness with just bears for company :D

Associate
I planned to do something similar in August; throw my tent on the back and crash at Llanberis for a spell mid week (camp site right across the road from the pub :D).

So cheers for the route maps and descriptions. Nice to have a few pointers but you haven't ruined the surprise ;)

And the M4 really is mind-numbingly dull, wouldn't fancy it much on an unfaired bike.

Soldato
OP
I planned to do something similar in August; throw my tent on the back and crash at Llanberis for a spell mid week (camp site right across the road from the pub :D).

So cheers for the route maps and descriptions. Nice to have a few pointers but you haven't ruined the surprise ;)

And the M4 really is mind-numbingly dull, wouldn't fancy it much on an unfaired bike.

Yeah I'm planning on doing the camping thing next time out, just so much cheaper than £40-50 a night in a B&B.

I've gotten used to the wind on my naked bike, a sustained 80 for an hour or 2 is ok. I DO need a more comfortable bike though I ever want to do more than that. I have that in mind for a second bike next year as I plan to do several trips per year, whether that's a few hundred miles to wales or a few thousand round Europe (the south of Italy looks awesome but good god I'd need an arse transplant if I did that on the CB400 :p:eek:)

The A44 was the surprise of the trip, a complete gem of a road, juns endless corner after corner after corner...

Back
Top Bottom