House Build Project for Daughter...

Soldato
...OK so not a full size house but a little wendy house.

We purchased the house from one of the buy, sell, swap threads on Facebook back in February for the grand sum of £30. The seller broke the house down and just needed me to collect.

Fast forward to the weekend and I was a little bit at a loose end with what to do with myself, thought I best pull my finger out and get cracking otherwise it will just sit about forever!

Putting the house together for very easy, for now I have only put a few screws in to hold it until I get around to securing it.

So Sunday was spent building and this is what I managed to do:

What you have to remember is this did only cost us £30 and needs some TLC, but will come to the list of what we need to do.

I ordered timber on Monday which was delivered yesterday, this was going to be enough to complete the decked area. However whilst building the frame and setting it in place I decided to extend it to one side. This meant I did not have enough timber to complete, however as of last night I was left with this:

I have more timber ordered today which will be delivered later on this afternoon so weather permitting hope to have the rest of the deck completed. As my wife is working till 8pm this may be tricky whilst looking after my 16month old also!

Once the decking has been completed the plan is as follows:

• Reinforce and secure the house to the deck.
  • Repair any rotten material (luckily doesn't look to be much at all).
  • Remove acrylic windows and replace with new material.
  • Sand down completely inside and outside.
  • Paint with external wood paint, thinking pastel colours. Sage/Pale Green for the house, doors and windows etc colours with a pastel white or something. Off paint shopping on Sunday.

Costs so far:

House - £30
Timber - £68 (excluding delivery today)
Gravel - £14 (to go on the floor under decking to help prevent weeds)

I think timber today will be around £50, paint around £30.

Total cost - £180 (approx).

When you consider these houses alone are around £300 new not bad for something that will be used for a long time.

Will keep updating with further progress pics.

Soldato
Looks great :)

We have an 18month old Daughter ourselves (and my Wife is working until 9-30 tonight, so I hear you ;)).

Let us know how it goes - final build post decoration...and whether she plays with it!!

BTW - not sure gravel will help with weeds, perhaps it's worth putting some membrane down?

Soldato
Looks great :)

We have an 18month old Daughter ourselves (and my Wife is working until 9-30 tonight, so I hear you ;)).

Let us know how it goes - final build post decoration...and whether she plays with it!!

BTW - not sure gravel will help with weeds, perhaps it's worth putting some membrane down?

This get a membrane down before you finish the deck and secure the hose in place otherwise you will be mowing the deck by the end of the summer! Can be had cheap on the bay.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, sorry forgot to say I do have a membrane to stick down. Already have it in the garage so didnt need to purchase it.

Regarding her playing with it, I have no reason to think she wouldnt. Already she is in and out of it!!

Will keep on updating :)

Soldato
OP
Keep an eye out mate, they do come up every now and then but yes we have been very lucky.

Sadly timber didnt arrive yesterday so fingers crossed it will today so I can crack on finishing the deck.

Soldato
Looks great. The second hand one I got was in pretty good condition and they wanted £120 for it (it was delivered though).
What paint are you using as I struggled to find pastel coloured wood paint for reasonable money.

Soldato
Thanks guys, sorry forgot to say I do have a membrane to stick down. Already have it in the garage so didnt need to purchase it.

Regarding her playing with it, I have no reason to think she wouldnt. Already she is in and out of it!!

Will keep on updating :)

Sure she will love it, what kid doesn't want their own den/castle!

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, going to be finishing up work at around 4pm today (joy of home working!) so will start cracking on for a good hour or so before wife and daughter come home.

We are going paint shopping on Sunday so will just see what is about, however as posted above I had cuprinol in mind, or I think B&Q have their own range.

Soldato
OP
Ok guys a bit more work done, decking finished and first coats of paint applied. Went for Cuprinol Garden Shades and would recommend to anyone.

You can see the doors and window in first picture :)

Once painting has been done will tackle tidying up the roof.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

Hopefully if the weather holds off I will be putting another coat of paint on the exterior and interior and doors after work tonight.

With regards the decking, just going to leave as is. The only time sun goes in behind the house is around 6pm in the evening, I don't think Algea will be a problem. After summer and in the spring I will give it a good power wash down anyway.

Can't wait to get it finished, really has been a great transformation!

Back
Top Bottom