Limiting bandwidth to a PC on network

Associate
The weak link in your setup for your strategy is the Sky router.

You can switch to using Open DNS for DNS servers which would give you an element of being able to block sites, but this is easily got around. To do this properly you want a router that has some kind of content filtering or blocking.

With regards to limiting bandwidth - what's the goal of doing so? Is it to limit the throughput (eg can only use a certain % of the speed), or is it to have a bandwidth cap (eg can only use X GB per day/week/month), or is it to restrict so it can't be used during certain periods of time?

Associate
I have no problem replacing the sky router, I still have my open reach modem.

Limiting there (the kids) speed is the goal, turning it off at certain times would be useful too.

I've been having a look at Asus routers which look like they have what I need but will they limit everything on the switch or the specific devices ?

You could limit speed/throughput using QoS and set time limits using parental controls with an Asus router. The restrictions can be applied using the MAC addresses of the devices you wish to limit. In this way it would be per-device rather than everything.

Back
Top Bottom