Web development degree?

Caporegime
lots of that was covered back then too...

some universities chose gimmicky names for courses and some still do...

Soldato
Computers, coding, IT, web development? It does have to be Computer Science surely?

EDIT: The good thing about a degree in computer science is it can be very broad depending on the modules you choose etc. This means it's good if you change your mind/are unsure of exactly the route to go down and will not limit your options at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Software Engineering if you are more focused on the programming side of things. My course had web development modules along side app development and desktop based languages.

Year in industry too which was helpful. If you are just interested in web development or design you don't necessarily need a degree though. Just start doing it like others have suggested.

Soldato
In addition to what's been said above re. experience and portfolio work, The OP should also consider a more focused taught Masters in Web Technology or similar: it'd be cheaper and can be done via distance learning whilst you build up a portfolio. MOOCs can fill any transitional gaps you may have.

However, if your heart is set on another full undergrad degree, consider earning and learning. Part-time Computing and IT students are exempt from the ELQ requirement regarding previously obtained degrees, so SLC might fund you again; make a short-list of courses and call the providers/SLC to make sure. This may be a fairly long-winded route towards what you want to do though.

Do decide whether you want to do front-end or infrastructure/systems work in advance, as these two streams diverge. The former is technology crossing over into applied arts and humanities, with some industrial psychology; the latter has more CS meat to it, and may appeal more to an ex-engineer.

Titles of programmes to browse would be:
Computer Science
Computing
Internet Computing
Web Technologies
Online Computing
Web Development
Cloud Computing
Web and Distributed Systems
Web and Mobile Development
Business Information Systems

and variations of the above. For the more theoretical routes, pick up and skim through a good introductory book on Discrete Mathematics before your course starts.
Edit: Most of these are essentially under the umbrellas of Computer Science and Software Engineering. The veritable alphabet soup of qualification names these days is primarily a marketing exercise to attract people to what may be perceived as hard 'traditional' tech subjects.

Have fun!

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
If you wanna do web dev I wouldn't bother with a degree. It's not that hard and most of the guys who taught me at uni had been out of the industry for so long that none of it was very relevant to current techniques.

Caporegime
do you already have an engineering degree?

perhaps at least look at transferring credit? or perhaps an MSc

doing a second bachelors, part time, over 4-6 years, would seem to be a bit inefficient

then again if you don't have a degree it could make sense

Caporegime
OP
No mate, no degree. I'm a pipe fitter by trade, hence why I want this now.

Better late than never as they say. Getting really excited now, loan application just submitted!

Caporegime
No mate, no degree. I'm a pipe fitter by trade, hence why I want this now.

Better late than never as they say. Getting really excited now, loan application just submitted!

fair enough... go for it

since you're in London then Birkbeck is worth considering too, tis part time/evening lectures rather than distance learning.

http://www.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/courses/bsccomp/
http://www.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/courses/bscism/

also University of London offers an external program, probably a bit less support than the OU offers but is an alternative distance learning program:

http://www.londoninternational.ac.u...ormation-systems-bsc-diploma-work-entry-route

http://www.londoninternational.ac.u...mputing-bsc-diploma-work-entry-route#overview

Caporegime
OP
Cheers dowie, sadly Birkbeck isn't an option due to my job, I work either 7-4 or 10-7 on alternating weeks and finishing at 7 would be cutting it too fine.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Back
Top Bottom