emails you get from people at work.

Soldato
Most emails I received are from EDs MDs etc ergo very direct and to the point.

One thing that grinds my gears however is Lync Communicator that is the lazy option vs picking up phone and speaking face to face (video phones).

I always set mine to offline

Man of Honour
My favourites are always the mistaken ones sent out to the whole department, followed by dozens and dozens of "Please take me off this email chain" replied to all and then finally a few dozen "Please stop replying to all!!!!!!" :D

Soldato
Someone once messaged an entire Lync Communicator meeting party that had a screenshare and telepresence 'I wished he would stop coughing, sounds like he has a pube in this throat'. Unbeknown to said poster he posted in the entire audience message box as opposed to an individual on his favourites list. Said Cougher is Gay so you can imagine how that one looked. The guy got an official warning.

Soldato
My favourites are always the mistaken ones sent out to the whole department, followed by dozens and dozens of "Please take me off this email chain" replied to all and then finally a few dozen "Please stop replying to all!!!!!!" :D

We get this from time to time globally, the last one included a poll of popular replies - top of the list was "stop replying to all" followed closely by "ok" (in response to the first one). People are morons.

Soldato
It's just one of those words that sounds more complicated than it means. It's not quite right to mean simply telling your team something!

"to scatter or spread widely, as though sowing seed; promulgate extensively; broadcast; disperse"

spread (something, especially information) widely.

Still seems 'normal' to me. Also found these that suggest it's not business BS:

http://www.theofficelife.com/business-jargon-dictionary-C.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7457287.stm

Caporegime
Most emails I received are from EDs MDs etc ergo very direct and to the point.

One thing that grinds my gears however is Lync Communicator that is the lazy option vs picking up phone and speaking face to face (video phones).

I always set mine to offline

Not convinced Lync/Skype/whatever it's called by the time you read this is lazier than email. It's perfect for a quick question because nobody really wants to send one line emails back-and-forth.

I'd rather people ask a quick question on Lync than kept ringing my phone or walking over.

Knowing which tool to use is vital - don't email me and claim it's urgent for example. But I don't mind IM at all.

Soldato
I received an email that someone had sent in error to a company email distribution list rather than the intended individual. Another recipient quickly responds saying the topic is nothing to do with them - which has clearly also gone to the whole address list. This is followed by a burst of emails from other people saying the same thing. Then the emails start from people complaining that they are being copied in to these exchanges. In no time at all there were 40 odd emails that had been copied to hundreds of people, mostly moaning that their inboxes are getting swamped with these emails and telling everyone else to stop sending them. Finally the penny dropped (or the available supply of idiots was used up) and people stopped replying to the distribution list address.

Whilst I was watching all this traffic happen I was talking to an HR manager and we were left somewhat concerned at how dumb some of the managers must be that had contributed to the mess in the later stages, as they evidently just had to tell everyone that they were too busy/important to waste their time reading all the emails everyone else was sending...

Soldato
My favourite exchange was between myself and a customer who didnt pay their bills;

"Hi I'm locked out of my account for some reason. Can you email me the password please."

'Hello, you've been locked out of the account due to not paying your charges for the past 3 months.'

"Well I didnt expect this ffs. Do you treat all your customers this way?"

'Not the paying ones'

Havent heard from them since :(.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Whilst I was watching all this traffic happen I was talking to an HR manager and we were left somewhat concerned at how dumb some of the managers must be that had contributed to the mess in the later stages, as they evidently just had to tell everyone that they were too busy/important to waste their time reading all the emails everyone else was sending...

We always found it was an excellent pre-selection filter when we were gearing up for compulsory redundancies :D

Soldato
OP
In response to a lengthy email detailing new drawing office procedures so we can better track project information and drawing requests; where I outlined what we were currently doing wrong and the problems it was causing and then what we were going to do about it, one of our contracts managers said to me 'yer, I got your email but I only got as far as the end of the first paragraph then thought **** it...' so, tl'dr essentially then yeah?

What's the point... :(

Still, no-one has asked me to 'action' anything for a while now, so I guess I should be grateful for that.

Soldato
OP
Ah, yes... the good old email requesting something or other, without and project number or address in the subject to tie it to an actual job.

As someone commented earlier in this thread: let me just get my crystal ball out and we'll see if the spirits are willing today.

Soldato
Moved to a different role in the same department, but covering an additional business unit and the amount of emails I get now is staggering.

My main client inbox - probably about 800
Corporate inbox - this has actually dropped to about 100

Shared mailboxes per team:
Team 1 - around 100
Team 2 around 300
Team 3 - around 250
Team 4 - probably about 1000

Out of all these emails I simply ignore:
*team 1/2/3/4 unless they come up to me and say "I just got this email and..." then I can look at it directly.

Filter off system generated crap from client inbox which reduces the email to around 300

Corporate inbox - once again filter off any system generated crap to around 50.

The rest I skim through to see if I am needed for anything.

I reckon each day I have to deal with myself around 90-100 of those thousand odd emails which includes 30 or so emails where I have to think "wtf do you actually want??"

Back
Top Bottom