Roof racks

Soldato
A question, I might need to get a roof rack for my 330d touring. It's got rails, all I want to do is strap a 60 dry bag to the roof which will hold a duvet, pillows and a tent in. I don't see the point in a roof box as it's over priced for what I need (one weekend this year...).

What do I need to get? Never used a roof rack, now even sure which one to buy?

Soldato
You get two bars in a pack as you are usually mounting a bike rack or box too.

Thule do baskets if you dont want a box that you can strap stuff too.

If you want to do it cheap then Thule is probably not the best brand as they can be expensive.

You can probably get a few halfords bars and feet to strap your bag too.

Soldato
OP
Cool, thanks guys. Yea, really will only be used once this year, and maybe a couple times next year. It's simply to strap a large dry bag to, and possibly a canvas tent bag to if the weather permits.

Soldato
I borrow my bosses bars and box. No way are they worth the money for once a year use. I'd probably rent too if I was you.

Quick check on eBay I can rent a massive Thule box for £35 a week, easy no storing it etc, near me too. Plus will carry a lot more than your dry bag making the car less full meaning a more pleasant journey.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I borrow my bosses bars and box. No way are they worth the money for once a year use. I'd probably rent too if I was you.

Quick check on eBay I can rent a massive Thule box for £35 a week, easy no storing it etc, near me too. Plus will carry a lot more than your dry bag making the car less full meaning a more pleasant journey.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Berkshire...163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a537d8bdb

Yep, same here, just down the road. Will do that. Fraction of the cost of some bars. No storage required. And I can easily get 4 people with camping kit, chairs, cool boxes etc as tents (3, one large 4, bell canvas tent, ours :p), duvets, pillows, airbeds etc can be squished into a large top box.

DONE.

Back
Top Bottom