Help! Getting driveway quotes!

Man of Honour
Hi guys I really need a new driveway I have tarmac at the minute. it is quite a big drive 71 square meters, long and narrow type

Been getting local quotes one this morning was £3300 for block paving
I want block over tarmac looks much nicer
He said they are "driveline 50's, 60mm blocks, tegular" no idea what that means but he said that's the standard I want. He said its guaranteed for 5 years

£3300 is within my budget - some guys over the phone were like £5000

my only concern is he said once the blocks have been delivered I pay for them (about £1500 iirc) I'm not too happy about this I have had a lot of work done in the last 2 years and never paid anything upfront

Any thing I need to know? does that seem ok? Thanks

Soldato
Get a quote in writing from them, if you don't know what he's talking about - get them to explain or show you the blocks you mean etc.

Don't commit to anything until you are happy, have it in writing, confirmed they have insurance etc. That's the way I would deal with something like that.

As for paying for the blocks - i can't see an issue with that, if you pay for them, they are yours, so if the job goes wrong, you own the materials and can just get someone to do the labour. Seems reasonable.

Tea Drinker
Don
It won't take long to lay them I don't know why they want materials payment up front. They should be finished soon after.

£65 m2 is usual so your quote seems reasonable.

The blocks might be guaranteed for 5 years but it won't be the blocks that fail.

Tea Drinker
Don
It's a non limited company so the guarantee will be worth buttons.

A 50mm block is suitable for cars. Anything heavier needs an 80mm block. Find out what sub base they propose and what they propose at the edges and any manholes or gullies etc

Soldato
Guarantee only worth the paper its written on if it is insurance backed. If it just the trade man saying "I'll come and fix it if it goes wrong in 5 years" then it means nothing if he packs up in 6 months time.

Tea Drinker
Don
Should I avoid this company? He said he's very busy and 6 weeks wait, that can't be such a bad thing can it?

Not necessarily. Ask for references? Go and see a few he's done. It's only block paving really.

You could inspect it yourself. Ask to sign it off in its layers then you can tell the thickness of whatever has been laid.

Man of Honour
OP
Been having a few more quotes £3300-3500 seems to be the norm for block

Although one guy I googled his name and area, was in newspapers for robbery ... So tip to anyone do proper research

Soldato
My Top Tip, DO IT YOURSELF its very easy, hardest part is cutting the connecting bits and working out how many bricks to order.

Getting the sub layer well compacted and the sand level is not hard at all.

Other wise check your friends and see who they have used also any locals that have had drives done in the last year or so, ask them who they used.

Soldato
I'm currently getting quotes for my driveway at the moment too. Similar size to your 69m2.

Couple quoted at £4500 and have had a couple between 3500-4000. This is for tegula like yours but move a wall and paving over front garden where it is currently grass. So it seems reasonable

Soldato
I'm currently getting quotes for my driveway at the moment too. Similar size to your 69m2.

Couple quoted at £4500 and have had a couple between 3500-4000. This is for tegula like yours but move a wall and paving over front garden where it is currently grass. So it seems reasonable

Don't forget to get planning permission and agree who is responsible to obtain it.

Man of Honour
OP
This is slowly turning into a bit of a nightmare, So found a local company who seem quite reputable, but turns out my gas pipe is about a inch below my existing tarmac... so gas board coming on 3rd sept to fit my a new gas pipe in..
I also presuming the main power cable to the house also isn't very deep

Back
Top Bottom