Commodore Amiga 30th Anniversary

Associate
And let's not forget Lightwave and the Video Toaster which was responsible for some cutting edge 3D rendering. Without it TV shows such as Babylon 5 would not have looked anywhere near as good.

I phoned Newtek in the States on the off chance they might send me a copy of the Toaster demo video, and they did! Luckily my VHS could play NSTC tapes. I probably still have it somewhere but it's on Youtube in any case.

Soldato
I used to use Imagine 3D on the Amiga it was great 3D design software for the time. ;)

I also got heavily into 3D rendering back in the day. I actually spent £400 on Real 3D 2.0, to date still the most I have ever spent on a piece of software for any system.

Soldato
And let's not forget Lightwave and the Video Toaster which was responsible for some cutting edge 3D rendering. Without it TV shows such as Babylon 5 would not have looked anywhere near as good.

I had Lightwave on the 1200 and ran several batch instances in Screamernet to halve the renedering time. Groundbreaking multi tasking.

Yeah Windows 1.0 to 3.11 and 95 to 2000 cant touched Amiga superiority multi tasking as both Lightwave and Video Toaster would not be ported to PC because Windows 95 and NT 4.0 multi tasking cannot handle it until it finally ported to Windows XP when their multi tasking was worked properly finally caught up with Amiga.

Soldato
I never had an Amiga, only a C64. We could't afford one. One of my school friends had one, though, and I have fond memories wasting school holidays playing Flashback, Speedball 2, Lemmings, Gods, Zool, Worms, Cannon Fodder, Syndicate and the amazing Chaos Engine (what an intro)!

(Oh and who could forget Elite and Gauntlet II?)

By the time we could afford an upgrade, the Sega Megadrive had taken off and I went that route. My brother then got a 386 PC for uni a few years after and that was the point I became a PC enthusiast. Doom II has a lot to answer for! :p

Soldato
My computer journey, like someone else above, started with an Acorn Electron (oh the hours spent on Repton and Plan B)

Then I moved to an A500+ and a few years later my brother and I saved and moved to an A1200, with harddrive, memory expansion and an external hard drive, and even a monitor!!

Great times were had with the Amigas, the hours spent playing games (SWOS and Cannon Fodder both owe me hundreds of hours!), and messing about in Deluxe Paint.

I even used the A1200 when I was at uni, doing a media production degree, to produce video titles for various projects because it was so far in advance of what was available to me at the university at the time.

Associate
Oh man, I miss those days!

I had the Amiga 500, was my first real gaming platform.

Fond memories of Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters, Walker, Chuck Rock, Desert Strike...

Sooo good!

Associate
*actually who remembers the falcon ? nobody, right as I think Atari nearly went broke like commodore

I do. The Falcon was immensely powerful, but succumbed to Atari's woeful (read: non-existent) marketing strategy. 68030 @14MHz, 4meg of RAM, it should have been a game-changer. I lusted after one, but five hundred quid was out of my league as I was about 12...
It could have taken the market by storm- it was leaps ahead of rival systems. Still very much in use in the music industry (as is the ST) but that's about as far as it got.

Come to think of it, the STE should have given the Amiga some stiff competition, but again Atari fouled up, and very little software ever took advantage of the STE's capabilities.

Last edited:
Associate
A500, so many good memories…I think both mine and my cousins Amiga’s are in my old mans loft, I'll have to go look one day.

Many hours were spent playing;

SWOS
Chaos Engine
Mega-lo-Mania
Rock Star Ate My Hamster
Shadow of the Beast
Championship Manager
Syndicate
Frontier: Elite II
Supercars II
SWIV
R-Type