Expensive sunglasses - worth the extra cost?

Associate
never buy the cheap market sunglasses, their UV protection is going to be bogus. I buy a lot of stuff from chinese websites (direct purchase from chinese warehouse), everything they sell is tat. I stay well clear of electronics - but do buy accessories like printer toner powder, iPad cases, bags etcs.

WHen it comes to "intangiables" like level of UV protection - assume it doesn't have any.

If you want to buy a cheap pair of glasses with UV protecton, but cheap own brand stuff from boots or some other eyewear store. They will verify the preotection levels from their chinese suppliers.

Associate
I spent quite a lot on a decent pair of sunglasses, and then walked into a lamp-post, which pretty much wrecked them.

I don't know whether there's a point there, but I thought you might like to know.

Soldato
Bump. Those Dillon Optics look nice. Is there anywhere in the UK/London you can buy them? I'd be interested in trying some on to see if they suit me.

Also, my Dad is coming over from the States next week. Is there any savings to be had asking him to buy some from there? Or Ray Bans?

Associate
Oakley polarised fuel cell in the car. Person 714sm on holiday. Persol 3065s photo chromatic and polarised.

Persol are definate a step up in quality from Oakley.

Sorry for the bump of the old thread, I did a search and didn't want to start a new one :)

How do you find the photo chromatic lenses compared to polarised? How much do they actually darken?

Caporegime
No, I buy sunglasses from amazon at around $1-3 a pair, e.g. There are packs of 50 glasses for $50. The UV protection is fine.

This way they are basically disposable. I've wasted so much money in expensive sunglasses where they get lost, stolen, scratched, sat on etc.

Agree with this. Sunglasses are completely disposable - I lose them, the kids break them, the lenses get ruined at the beach etc. For something that I get so much use out of and is a practical necessity rather than a fashion statement, it makes little sense spending a couple of hundred bucks every two weeks for the duration of spring and summer.

Associate
Tbh I currently rely on expensive glasses, I've got 3 pairs of oakleys and on rayban, I've always found cheap glasses give me eye strain and are uncomfortable to wear for any extended period, in fact before my first pair of oakleys I always hated sunglasses. I've never lost/damaged a pair so don't mind spending a little.

Hawker

Last edited:
Man of Honour
[FnG]magnolia;28381260 said:
Agree with this. Sunglasses are completely disposable - I lose them, the kids break them, the lenses get ruined at the beach etc. For something that I get so much use out of and is a practical necessity rather than a fashion statement, it makes little sense spending a couple of hundred bucks every two weeks for the duration of spring and summer.

I guess it depends what you do with them. As I said earlier in the thread I've had 2 pairs in what must be almost 13 years so decent ones were well worth the investment.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;28381325 said:
I guess it depends what you do with them. As I said earlier in the thread I've had 2 pairs in what must be almost 13 years so decent ones were well worth the investment.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. If I didn't lose them, break them or otherwise have them unusable on such a regular basis then I'd probably spend more on them. Not a lot more but a bit more.

I'd probably not do this in the UK as I'm not sure how many days of the year they'd even get used. A month, tops?

Man of Honour
[FnG]magnolia;28381356 said:
I'd probably not do this in the UK as I'm not sure how many days of the year they'd even get used. A month, tops?

I use mine a lot - they generally live in the car. It doesn't have to be an amazing day of 30c sunshine to warrant a set of sunglasses to make driving more pleasant.

Man of Honour
I laughed at my mate for saying so, but sunglasses are generally better in winter when the sun is super low. Might look a king kong prize bell, mind!

Soldato
Have used the same pair of Oakley glasses for nearly 5 years now and they're still going strong - only got them as I was leaving my previous job and got 25% off in store but they still cost around £100!

I have squashed them slightly though so had to get them back into shape and they do now have some scratches on the lenses unfortunately!

Associate
Unless they are indestructible I wouldn't bother spending over 20 quid.

Cheap UV protection polarised glasses are exactly the same as expensive UV protection polarised glasses...apart from the price tag and a wee logo.

Associate
never buy the cheap market sunglasses, their UV protection is going to be bogus.

Depends where you buy them. Here in Australia UV rating protection is cancer council certified so you know what you're getting. If it doesn't have cancer council certification (which a lot of the brand name glasses don't) then you avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom