Line Rental Saver

Soldato
Not sure which would be the right sub-forum to put this into.

Anyone else pay their line rental yearly to save money? Mine is due for renewal with PlusNet in which I originally took out a deal on their fibre broadband.

However, the line rental was 12 month contract and the broadband was an 18 month contract. My line rental is now due for renewal, but to save money I would have to tie into another 12 month contract with plusnet for their line rental. But my broadband contract will be due for renewal in 6 months time. I anticipate in 6 months I will either switch or get a retention deal which is lower than what I'm paying now.

Line rental saver is £155.88 or I pay £15.95 a month for 6 months and then get a whole new deal?

What has anyone else done when/if they've been in this situation?

Soldato
I just got free fibre for 2 years and paid the first year's line rental via line saver bringing the cost down to £12.99 per month. This was a renewal as I said I'd be going elsewhere if they didn't bring the cost down (I was previously paying £35 per month after my first 12 months of promotions ended).

Man of Honour
Sort of off topic, but I can't stand the switching culture we've somehow stumbled in to. At best it is causing undue hassle as informed customers now need to switch back and forth with each and every service they use, and at worst it is taking advantage of the ignorance/laziness of the uninformed customers that one should be grateful for having in the first place. Despicable business practice that we have somehow just learned to accept.

Soldato
I've got 12 months free broadband from Plusnet - phoned up to check if they could match a rival phone/internet offer, otherwise I'd be looking to cancel, so they responded with that.

Sort of off topic, but I can't stand the switching culture we've somehow stumbled in to. At best it is causing undue hassle as informed customers now need to switch back and forth with each and every service they use, and at worst it is taking advantage of the ignorance/laziness of the uninformed customers that one should be grateful for having in the first place. Despicable business practice that we have somehow just learned to accept.
Nah

People who care do a little more work and get a better deal, people who don't care pay a little more but are generally none the wiser. Everyone gets what they want out of it.

Motor insurance it's my yearly routine to phone them upon renewal and ask for a best price. This year it knocked down from £190 to £113 just for a phone call. And same sort of saving on Mrs Cheesyboy's motor too.

That said, renewing my home insurance was frustrating: Allianz couldn't simply match the renewal quote I got from Allianz themselves (or even better: just give me a renewal price without me having to go through the online quote system) - I had to cancel the old policy and take out a new one.

Soldato
They'll still offer you something, my contract wasn't up until the end of the year either. Lots of competition around at the moment so they will want you tied to a 2 year contract.

Associate
I have just started the switch from BT to Plusnet after 18 months with BT. It was an 18 month broadband contract and I paid 12 months Line Saver Rental. It's a pain, as I was planning to switch all along, but had to pay full wack for 6 months until my contract expired.

I couldn't be bothered calling BT to see what they could offer me to stay. I'd sooner switch than do their leg-work.

Last edited:
Associate
Bare in mind on the 2nd September Plusnet line rental goes up to £16.99, and the line rental saver goes up to £185.88.

So there are savings to be made if you do it before then, also you can still negotiate a discount on your broadband if you have line rental saver.

Soldato
Not sure which would be the right sub-forum to put this into.

Anyone else pay their line rental yearly to save money? Mine is due for renewal with PlusNet in which I originally took out a deal on their fibre broadband.

However, the line rental was 12 month contract and the broadband was an 18 month contract. My line rental is now due for renewal, but to save money I would have to tie into another 12 month contract with plusnet for their line rental. But my broadband contract will be due for renewal in 6 months time. I anticipate in 6 months I will either switch or get a retention deal which is lower than what I'm paying now.

Line rental saver is £155.88 or I pay £15.95 a month for 6 months and then get a whole new deal?

What has anyone else done when/if they've been in this situation?
Their line rental is about to go up too, according to the email I got from them recently.

Edit; yeah what BadMojo said.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have just started the switch from BT to Plusnet after 18 months with BT. It was an 18 month broadband contract and I paid 12 months Line Saver Rental. It's a pain, as I was planning to switch all along, but had to pay full wack for 6 months until my contract expired.

I couldn't be bothered calling BT to see what they could offer me to stay. I'd sooner switch than do their leg-work.

The irony of BT owning PlusNet.

Back
Top Bottom