** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Soldato
Hi all

At the moment I'm torn between the Asus MG279Q & BenQ XL2730z freesync.
Can anyone who experience an Yamakasi catleap 120hz can confirm that the new Asus MG279Q is quicker at 120hz or on par due to 5ms.

Haven't had experience with either monitor but by going with the specs you will get less input lag, less blur because of faster G2G times and native support + Freesync to boot. Might be rather cheap upgrade if you can sell that monitor for £200.

Associate
Haven't had experience with either monitor but by going with the specs you will get less input lag, less blur because of faster G2G times and native support + Freesync to boot. Might be rather cheap upgrade if you can sell that monitor for £200.

I would love to sell it but my girlfriend wants it. :mad:

Associate
flickering pixels

Hi just noticed this morning on the Asus MG279Q that I was getting flickering pixels on the left hand side of the screen. Almost 1 pixel in width from the edge of the left hand side of the screen running the entire length vertically. Turning the pc off then back on seamed to resolve it. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this are. In work at the moment but was planning to reseat the gpu, check cables etc (using mini displayport) and see if this resolves it. Apparently it happened before when my wife was using it. Currently running a sapphire R9 290 tri x. Just worried it may be a problem with the monitor and if so would want to return it for a replacement. Any ideas? Is this likely a problem with the monitor or gpu or something else?

Associate
Hi just noticed this morning on the Asus MG279Q that I was getting flickering pixels on the left hand side of the screen. Almost 1 pixel in width from the edge of the left hand side of the screen running the entire length vertically. Turning the pc off then back on seamed to resolve it. Just wondering what peoples thoughts on this are. In work at the moment but was planning to reseat the gpu, check cables etc (using mini displayport) and see if this resolves it. Apparently it happened before when my wife was using it. Currently running a sapphire R9 290 tri x. Just worried it may be a problem with the monitor and if so would want to return it for a replacement. Any ideas? Is this likely a problem with the monitor or gpu or something else?
I saw the same thing on my Asus. It seemed to occur at random times, although I did eventually find running World of Tanks at 144Hz would provoke it every time. I swapped the gfx card (290) for another one and tried several cables without any improvement, so it seemed to be a flaw in the monitor. Didn't investigate any further as by that point I'd written the monitor off as a waste of time.

Associate
I saw the same thing on my Asus. It seemed to occur at random times, although I did eventually find running World of Tanks at 144Hz would provoke it every time. I swapped the gfx card (290) for another one and tried several cables without any improvement, so it seemed to be a flaw in the monitor. Didn't investigate any further as by that point I'd written the monitor off as a waste of time.

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't have a lot of time this evening but did a clean install of drivers after ddu, reseated the gpu and replaced the cable. No issues so far but doesn't mean much as I've had the monitor a couple of weeks and I've only seen this once. Will see how it goes. Overall I like the monitor a lot but would be worried if this was to start consistently happen.

Soldato
Thanks PCM2 I will look into this.
I guess it applies to BenQ freesync aswell.

It isn't related to FreeSync exactly. The MG279Q behaves that way if set to a static 90Hz as well. The input lag does not seem to change with refresh rate on the BenQ, unless it is set to 60Hz. And of course at such a low refresh rate you've got more than 'input lag' to worry about. :)

Soldato
Really tempted by this as one of my monitors is getting a little long in the tooth, just have a couple of questions.
How do freesync and fraps interact? I know fraps locks the framerate to a set figure so I assume that would render the freesync essentially useless when recording? Or should I start using something else to record that will still give me the benefit of freesync?

Associate
I'm also really tempted. I'm looking at getting a second monitor to use alongside my now (very) old Dell 2407WFP and thought it might be worth giving a 'gaming' screen a go. I assume that this display would be a big step up from the Dell in terms of motion blur and input lag, but I'm not sure how this screen would compare in terms of picture quality. Has anyone done a side by side comparison with the 2407?

Soldato
Is it supposed to come with a UK power cable? I chucked out all my old kettle leads a few months back because they were just cluttering, but then this monitor arrives and it only has a European plug :(

Associate
Is it supposed to come with a UK power cable? I chucked out all my old kettle leads a few months back because they were just cluttering, but then this monitor arrives and it only has a European plug :(

Same surprise came with mine: EU cable, no UK cable. I had a spare adapter lying around so let lying dogs alone, but if I hadn't I would have been PO'ed.

Associate
Have an issue here: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and the Freesync option has disappeared from catalyst for me. I also ran the Freesync demo to confirm and Freesync is definitely not running (where it definitely was enabled and working in 8.1 on Catalyst 15.7). My monitor's settings have Freesync (35-90hz) enabled in settings. Any ideas?

I'm running a 295x2.

Associate
Hello folks

Putting Freesync out of the equation (as I have a 980ti and don't plan on moving to AMD), and assuming/hoping I get one which works as it should, is this still the best 27" 1440p IPS for under £500?
Thanks

Associate
I bought this having a 970 at the moment and no plans to upgrade save for some serious price drops. I mainly play games that can achieve 144FPS (Dota2 / Source Games) and within the CCR windows considered sending mine back as I had a dull pixel on receipt and have decided to keep it. The speed is astounding but that might be skewed as Im coming from a 2405FPW (still working).

Took me a long time to settle on trying this monitor and I'm happy I did so, well worth the money. Hope it lasts as long as the last one did :D

Back
Top Bottom