OcUK forums and https

Associate
RapidSSL charge 49USD for a basic SSL and Godaddy works out around £50 for one. So cost is not an excuse.

Moving to SSL would put some extra CPU load on the forum server(s) and the HTTPs handshakes means extra bandwidth use.

Namecheap do Comodo PositiveSSL DV certs for £5.76/year: https://www.namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificates/comodo/positivessl.aspx

I use them on all my sites (for now - I may switch to letsencrypt later in the year when it goes live).

Soldato
I'm afraid I'm not aware of that cipher. :)

I must apologise. I saw you post FIFY and thought, omg acronyms are so awesome. Unfortunately I'm a bit dim and couldn't think of an acronym myself so I just made up HKLOM and hoped nobody would notice. I just want to be loved and accepted, please don't use this as an exuse to judge me and make me look like a fool. I just want to be in the kool kids klub so bad. Honest mister, no foolin, can I be kool too ?

Caporegime
Never fails to amaze that how a shop that is dedicated to selling the latest tech can be so backwards with its forum software.

Not having a mobile theme is also ridiculous for a forum in 2015.

And I for one applaud that. Not having a "responsive"/mobile site is great considering most websites out there seem to think people are still using 2" screens and can only fit about 4 things on their screen. Modern responsive sites are a massive pain, wordpress unfortunately being one of the worst.

Why? You can usually switch between mobile and desktop themes but not offering the option is frustrating.

Haven't found many responsive sites that allow that.

Caporegime
Which is a criticism of the execution of an idea more than the idea itself being a bad one. I don't think having no mobile site at all is worth applauding.

Caporegime
Which is a criticism of the execution of an idea more than the idea itself being a bad one. I don't think having no mobile site at all is worth applauding.

Which is fine, except almost all the mobile sites are awful on a 4+ inch phone and most responsive sites can't be changed back to something more reasonable.

Lets not even get into the websites that remove functionality and menus from their mobile/responsive sites!

I have reasonable eyesight, I'd rather not have to scroll constantly past the four words on a page with size 30 font!

EDIT: GAHHH! The BBC website has a "mobile site" option at the bottom of the home page, but no option to change back to desktop site from mobile... :roll eyes: Prime example of how annoying mobile sites are!

EDIT 2: Seriously, how do you get back to the desktop site from the mobile site on phones? There isn't an option. Now I'm stuck with giant font and acres of scrolling rather than a fully functioning BBC home page on my phone.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What phone are you on? On an iPhone you can tap the address bar, swipe down and hit 'request desktop site'.

Caporegime
I have an iPhone yet that doesn't work, try it ;)

Go to the BBC website, make sure you are on the mobile site (go to the bottom of the page and choose mobile site), then try and get back to the proper homepage. The request desktop site doesn't work.

EDIT: I also have Dolphin browser installed and set to force desktop websites and it only works on about half of websites.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Trying a couple of websites and my suspicions are confirmed. The "Request Desktop Website" doesn't work on responsive sites. It's odd the BBC website had the mobile site anyway as it is a responsive site (make the browser window on your desktop narrower and the text will get bigger past a certain width).

Caporegime
^ This. Same goes for Chrome on Android. Just tried it myself.

Does your homepage look like this?

image.jpg

Even deleting cookies doesn't get me back to the proper home page...

In contrast this is what the homepage looks like on dolphin browser

image.jpg

Which is a useable website.

Seriously, there doesn't appear to be any way of actually getting back to the desktop site after choosing the mobile site... Recommendation... Never press the "mobile site" button at the bottom of the page, it appears to be a one way button..:(:p

Caporegime
The value of encrypting everything on the wire is overblown - if the OcUK forums had a padlock icon would you feel safer? Even though the software is ancient and you have no idea how secure the server running the site it?

It's not a magic bullet.

Back
Top Bottom