How to claim?

Soldato
Hi, I got hit by a car on a roundabout and it was their fault and I have a witness etc but I have no insurance. I had to get taken to hospital and have been off work as it happened this week and I've got an incident number from police. I have home and contents for theft of pushbikes.

It bent wheels/handlebars and severe scuffing of frame which might be bent and clothing is damaged etc.

I've never had to do this before - can someone advise the process or a company please as this is over £1000 easy just in bits.

Soldato
Contact the insurance company of the car driver and ask to make a claim I would guess.

I would document the damage with pictures and get a written quote for replacement wheel / components / clothes from an LBS.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I was told by the police to go to a solicitor as I have a claim for injury and loss of earnings/equipment which I have but they were very vague and only a couple even listened to me.

Seems the 'no win, no fee' brigade would be best option but I don't want to go down that road.

I'll investigate your option first but seems I can't claim anything until I've returned to work to identify how much that would be. Hoping I'll only be off this week as I don't like not working but this pain when standing up takes my breath away!

Caporegime
No win no fee is probably your best bet to be honest when you've not got specific insurance. You don't have to go to the sort of scumbag ambulance chasers you're thinking of. Plenty of more reputable outfits will take a case like this.

Soldato
Sorry to hear this - hope you heal up soon

Members of British Cycling get this support as membership - I know it's too late for you but might help other readers

Soldato
I've never had to do this before - can someone advise the process or a company please as this is over £1000 easy just in bits.

Thanks. I was told by the police to go to a solicitor as I have a claim for injury and loss of earnings/equipment which I have but they were very vague and only a couple even listened to me.

Seems the 'no win, no fee' brigade would be best option but I don't want to go down that road.

I got knocked off last December, hope you have the drivers name, phone number/address and his registration? Name/number of witnesses as well. First step would be speaking to him to confirm his insurance company and if he/she has it a phone number. Many/any driver reporting this to their insurers will be told 'not to speak to you', but keep it friendly, don't place blame (unless already admitted at the roadside) and speak to the insurance company. You've already done the police side, use that incident number to your advantage - if you've reported the incident and the driver hasn't, immediately the Police are on 'your side' as that's the only info they have.

The guy who knocked me off was very apologetic and friendly at the roadside, freely admitting it was his fault. When I spoke to him later he was very cagey and wouldn't give me any more information apart from his insurers details. He got really defensive when I mentioned I had reported it to the police. I was more than happy to deal with an insurance company - it's in their best interest to get things sorted.

List out all the things you wish covered and their approximate (new) value which you can supply receipts/invoices/evidence for. Get a repair estimate from your LBS, speak to them about it and get them to not 'do you a deal' (ie charge their normal rates and spend time looking closely at any damage, especially anything carbon). Calculate how many days you have been/are going to be off work (get a doctors note if it's more than a couple!) and then calculate your approximate earnings lost. The insurers you speak to are not overly interested in what these items are or what the list contains, only the bottom line. They will already have a figure in mind, especially if their client has admitted fault. Mine had reported it to his insurers and they were expecting my call. :)

The personal injury side of it gets more tricky and that's where the solicitor may come in, depending on the conversation you have with the insurers, you could even ask them about the best route to take. I can't help you much with that as I didn't go that route. I was more than happy with the compensation side (new bike!) as I knew I was 99% ok physically and only needed a couple of days off work.

One comment/opinion - the insurance company I spoke to were very helpful (NFU) and as soon as I mentioned I wasn't after a personal injury claim they were amazing - I'd had money transferred to my account within 4 days of the accident. Although my bike was repairable, I spoke to my LBS as it was a cheap halfords bike and had done quite a few miles. Their quote for repair was near the shelf value of the bike £250-300. The insurance company agreed a 'settlement value' of double that taking all my other damaged equipment into account (bibs, gloves, jacket, smashed helmet, helmet light etc). I really feel if I'd have been wearing more expensive clothes and riding a more expensive bike I'd have had no problems claiming for more. :cool:

Associate
I got knocked off last December, hope you have the drivers name, phone number/address and his registration? Name/number of witnesses as well. First step would be speaking to him to confirm his insurance company and if he/she has it a phone number. Many/any driver reporting this to their insurers will be told 'not to speak to you', but keep it friendly, don't place blame (unless already admitted at the roadside) and speak to the insurance company. You've already done the police side, use that incident number to your advantage - if you've reported the incident and the driver hasn't, immediately the Police are on 'your side' as that's the only info they have.

The guy who knocked me off was very apologetic and friendly at the roadside, freely admitting it was his fault. When I spoke to him later he was very cagey and wouldn't give me any more information apart from his insurers details. He got really defensive when I mentioned I had reported it to the police. I was more than happy to deal with an insurance company - it's in their best interest to get things sorted.

List out all the things you wish covered and their approximate (new) value which you can supply receipts/invoices/evidence for. Get a repair estimate from your LBS, speak to them about it and get them to not 'do you a deal' (ie charge their normal rates and spend time looking closely at any damage, especially anything carbon). Calculate how many days you have been/are going to be off work (get a doctors note if it's more than a couple!) and then calculate your approximate earnings lost. The insurers you speak to are not overly interested in what these items are or what the list contains, only the bottom line. They will already have a figure in mind, especially if their client has admitted fault. Mine had reported it to his insurers and they were expecting my call. :)

The personal injury side of it gets more tricky and that's where the solicitor may come in, depending on the conversation you have with the insurers, you could even ask them about the best route to take. I can't help you much with that as I didn't go that route. I was more than happy with the compensation side (new bike!) as I knew I was 99% ok physically and only needed a couple of days off work.

One comment/opinion - the insurance company I spoke to were very helpful (NFU) and as soon as I mentioned I wasn't after a personal injury claim they were amazing - I'd had money transferred to my account within 4 days of the accident. Although my bike was repairable, I spoke to my LBS as it was a cheap halfords bike and had done quite a few miles. Their quote for repair was near the shelf value of the bike £250-300. The insurance company agreed a 'settlement value' of double that taking all my other damaged equipment into account (bibs, gloves, jacket, smashed helmet, helmet light etc). I really feel if I'd have been wearing more expensive clothes and riding a more expensive bike I'd have had no problems claiming for more. :cool:

That's really useful information, cheers for that. A few things I'd probably forget to ask were I to have an accident.

I didn't realise the british cycling membership had liability insurance and legal support as part of their package, useful to know.

Soldato
That's really useful information, cheers for that. A few things I'd probably forget to ask were I to have an accident.

I didn't realise the british cycling membership had liability insurance and legal support as part of their package, useful to know.

I've not got BC membership but really should as I've thought about it a number of times...

My experience was 'good' but I think the major parts of that were me not seeking personal injury and the guy speaking to his insurance company about it (they never said it but I got the impression they had him at fault). The fact I had reported it and had a police incident number backed this up. I think the police visited the guy to take his statement, no idea what he said or what happened but the police did follow it up around 2 weeks later to confirm I was happy/ok.

Hope my info helps someone :)

Soldato
Already been told this but not a member so still looking for an answer.

Hopefully got an answer elsewhere so thank you. ;)

Get in touch with Bikeline, they sorted us out when my wife was taken out by a taxi driver. It can be a long process if there is any personal injury element though - we had to push quite hard to get interim payments for surgery etc.

Soldato
I've not got BC membership but really should as I've thought about it a number of times...

My experience was 'good' but I think the major parts of that were me not seeking personal injury and the guy speaking to his insurance company about it (they never said it but I got the impression they had him at fault). The fact I had reported it and had a police incident number backed this up. I think the police visited the guy to take his statement, no idea what he said or what happened but the police did follow it up around 2 weeks later to confirm I was happy/ok.

Hope my info helps someone :)

This thread just reminded me to sign up. I'll make the £33 up with 10% off at Halford and CRC so it is basically free anyway.

Soldato
This thread just reminded me to sign up. I'll make the £33 up with 10% off at Halford and CRC so it is basically free anyway.

I keep getting signup offers for BC - the one until the end of July was:

free Park Tool IB-3 (worth £19.99) or a Truflo mini pump (worth 24.99).

Probably another offer soon if you don't mind waiting a bit. I did mean to signup but forgot :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP

Thanks a lot for that. Very useful. I didn't get any info other than the incident police details. But I got given details by an off duty officer who took care of it all and supplied me contact info for more stuff. VERY helpful!

Soldato
OP
Been trying to get this sorted and had a letter which has made this whole process so much less of a struggle. :)

Everybody seemed very sincere and caring at the scene including the driver and it seems to have been confirmed so hopefully things will continue this way and it's all been a fuss about nothing. Still struggling to sit and/or stand and I can't drive so this has taken a lot of my mind. :)

Soldato
OP
Getting details and getting blame is easy.... getting anything back apart from a knackered bike and no money for your injuries or everyone's time off is ******** impossible.....

Another reason why Britain is great.....

Where's Jeremy Kyle... those lot get everything.....

Soldato
OP
Fingers crossed started to go through 'no win, no fee' but they charge 25% and then thought I'd get in touch with house insurance... fingers crossed.

Dropped bike off today... wheels knackered, bars knackered, hanger knackered, frame knackered... get full report back soon and ETA of cost....

Back
Top Bottom