RMT to ballot for strike action.

Man of Honour
What dont like they like about the offer?

Night drivers will also receive an extra £200 per Night Tube shift during a short transition period, after which they will have the choice whether or not to work Night Tube shifts, under LU's latest offer.

So they can get £200 per shift bonus *and* the option not to work the night shift if they don't like it? How can it possibly get any better?!

Soldato
Should just sack the lot of them. Sure there would be many people happy to work long hours to bring in £25,000 a year, seems like they are now just striking out of greed and are holding the capital to ransom every time their job gets a little bit harder. Unions did a lot of good for the workers of this country, but this takes the ****.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;28405526 said:

So they can get £200 per shift bonus *and* the option not to work the night shift if they don't like it? How can it possibly get any better?!

Given that the unions haven't put the offer to their members, I am pretty sure the answer is Boris Johnson and customers

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;28405526 said:

All of this:

•An average two per cent salary increase this year, and one per cent or inflation (whatever is higher) for 2016 and 2017
•All staff on Night Tube lines or at stations serving them will be awarded £500 once the Night Tube is introduced on 12 September 2015, as promised in the original offer;
•Drivers to receive an extra £200 per Night Tube shift worked during the period Night Tube is introduced;
•In addition, station staff are being offered a £500 bonus for the successful completion of our modernisation of customer service by February 2016
•Assurances on work-life balance - with amended rosters and the new staff already hired for Night Tube, which will give drivers the same number of weekends off as they receive now.

LU has also reiterated its commitment to staff in recognition of the great job they do in keeping London working and growing:

•No-one will be asked to work more hours than they do today to run the Night Tube. After a short transitional period while the service is introduced, drivers will have the choice as to whether they work nights or not
•Everybody will remain entitled to two days off in seven
•Rest and time off between shifts will always be in line with, or better than, statutory guidelines;
•Annual leave for staff will remain significantly above the national average - 43 days for a train operator, 52 days for a member of our station staff;
•Drivers on the night tube lines will have the option whether to choose to work the night tube shifts or not over the next year
•An above-inflation pay rise this year and guaranteed rises for the next two years, as well as a Night Tube bonus.

and this:

In fact those who pay to occupy the carriages have every right to question their drivers’ salaries. A newly qualified Tube driver earns £49,673 a year for working 36-hour weeks, and receives 43 days’ paid annual leave. The deal the unions have rejected would have seen that starting salary raised above £50,000, along with a £500 launch payment for the drivers who opted to work occasional night shifts. The rail unions often claim that drivers’ pay is high because few want to do their job. This is an impossible contention to test because, as a consequence of a previous deal struck with the unions, Tube driver vacancies are advertised only to existing underground staff.

It's clearly so bad that rejection is the obvious answer. ;)

The time has come for the government to classify the tube as an essential service which would means that when its workers strike they must still provide a minimum level of service. At the same time TFL should accelerate the move towards driverless trains. It is the only way these pointless strikes will be laid to rest.

Soldato
All of this:

and this:

The time has come for the government to classify the tube as an essential service which would means that when its workers strike they must still provide a minimum level of service. At the same time TFL should accelerate the move towards driverless trains. It is the only way these pointless strikes will be laid to rest.

I'd hope with the increased frequency of these strikes the driverless trains will be pushed forward.

Soldato

I'd agree, RMT are striking for the fun of it these days. They already have an excellent package, and are now just getting too greedy. I'm sure there are currently lots of unemployed people who would happily take their roles for what they get paid.

Associate
£200 extra per night shift. Stunned. Did the drivers really turn that down, or is it just the union being arses?

This ^^
Be very interested to know if the unions are behind this or the drivers. £200 extra per night is a pretty decent amount and I can't see the drivers complaining.

Associate
I look forward to driverless trains that can't strike.

In the works for some lines, however won't happen on some due to running on network rail lines who won't allow driverless.

The drivers get unfair vilification though, section 12 regulations require a certain amount of staff at sub surface stations, if they aren't there, the station closes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd agree, RMT are striking for the fun of it these days. They already have an excellent package, and are now just getting too greedy. I'm sure there are currently lots of unemployed people who would happily take their roles for what they get paid.

Unfortunately thanks to the unions those unemployed people won't get a chance. There hasn't been any external recruitment for tube drivers since 2008, instead you have to get in the club first and become one of the boys.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...cant-get-a-job-as-a-tube-driver-10440679.html

Last edited:
Soldato
All of this:

and this:

sounds like hell! I actually feel bad for those poor tube drivers :|

Soldato
According to the telegraph they're now asking for payrises to follow house price rises.. Which are expected to be 25% to 2020. Lol :rolleyes:

Caporegime
£200 extra per night shift. Stunned. Did the drivers really turn that down, or is it just the union being arses?

christ id be putting my name down every single night.

i can see why the union isn't taking it to the drivers they'd take it.

I imagine theres a lot of back handers for the union bosses and they dont want to let up the pressure just yet, maybe they need a new BMW....

Back
Top Bottom