Cannot delete directory

Caporegime
I'm trying to delete the Windows.old folder on my PC which is 25GB in size but when I try to do so I get messages such as "You require permission from "system" or "trusted installer" to perform this action", I don't understand I'm using the superuser account so I should be able to do anything? In Linux as root I can destroy the OS through file deletion yet in Windows I can't even delete a junk folder?! There's nannying and then there's nannying...

Don
Take ownership, give yourself full permission.

Step 1: Take Ownership.
a) Right click on the folder or file you want to take ownership.
b) Click on Properties.
c) Go to security tab.
d) Click on Advanced.
e) Go to Owner tab and click on Edit.
f) Click on Other users or group.
g) Type “Everyone” or a particular user name or a group name (by selecting everyone, any user who login will be having access to that particular file or folder).
h) Click OK.
i) Check the option “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” and click OK.

Step 2: Assign full permission.

a) Right click on the folder or file you want to take ownership.
b) Click on Properties.
c) Go to security tab.
d) Click on Advanced.
e) Under Permissions tab, click on Change permissions.
f) Click on Add.
g) Type Everyone and check the option full control and click OK.
h) Under permissions tab, if any Deny argument is mentioned select that argument and click on remove.
i) Click OK.

Associate
I'm trying to delete the Windows.old folder on my PC which is 25GB in size but when I try to do so I get messages such as "You require permission from "system" or "trusted installer" to perform this action", I don't understand I'm using the superuser account so I should be able to do anything? In Linux as root I can destroy the OS through file deletion yet in Windows I can't even delete a junk folder?! There's nannying and then there's nannying...

Is this just a dig at windows?

Take ownership, give yourself full permission.

You cannot go wrong with bledd's suggestion.

Don
Indeed,

If that doesn't work, then either a process is locking the file (it won't be) or you've got corruption on the drive. A linux disk would resolve the issue if you can't be bothered to do it in safemode if it is a process locking it.

Soldato
Thanks.

So ridiculous that you can't delete a directory as a superuser, this bug has been present since Windows 95!

It's hardly a bug. Microsoft detail how to do it. Do a search for "delete windows.old" and it's the first result in both Bing and Google. Google even have instructions in an info box at the top of their search results!

It's been this way from at least Windows 7, probably before - my memory doesn't stretch that far.

Back
Top Bottom