Removing recovery partition in Windows 10 help

Associate
Hey folks

Just got a new laptop and upgraded it from 8.1 to 10 which was fine. As it only has a 128gb SSD and no HDD I want to get as much space available as possible.

Ive cleared off all the crapware using W10 reset but the different partitions are still there including an 11gb area I cant seem to access to remove or utilise.

How can I remove this and extend my main part to cover more of the drive?

Thanks

AQbHLyq.png

Associate
I've used diskpart to remove partitions like this and the hibernation partition configured on some laptops.

use the following commands:
Run CMD as admin
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0 <- 0 being your SSD
list part
select part 5 <- 5 being the partition from the previous step that matches the 11.4GB partition in your screenshot.
delete part override <- this will permanently delete the partition, make sure you have a backup or you are prepared to reinstall etc.

Once deleted, you can refresh disk management and you will see unallocated space. You will need to delete or more the 474MB partition also to be able to resize your C:

Hope this helps.

tnx

tnx

Associate
Seeing you have done the upgrade you could download an .iso image from M.Soft and do a totally fresh install.
Saving all your important files first of course.

Do a custom install.

Select the drive and delete all the partitions.
It will ask you to create new ones and just click YES.
It will make the main drive plus a couple more partitions of a couple of hundred meg at most for the BOOT record.

Seeing you have updated, skip all inputs asking for the KEY. It will activate it's self.

You will get back your 11 GIG and your lappy will not be filled with all the manufacturers bloat.

A little bit of work to do but I recon it would be worth it.

It maybe an idea to download the drivers for Win 10 before you begin but more than likely if they are not already there Win 10 will download them. Without you even knowing.

Soldato
One day you will wish you still had that recovery partition.....

Invest in a bigger SSD.

Why? In the event of a failure a decent PC user will have everything backed up externally.

Seeing you have done the upgrade you could download an .iso image from M.Soft and do a totally fresh install.
Saving all your important files first of course.

Do a custom install.

Select the drive and delete all the partitions.
It will ask you to create new ones and just click YES.
It will make the main drive plus a couple more partitions of a couple of hundred meg at most for the BOOT record.

Seeing you have updated, skip all inputs asking for the KEY. It will activate it's self.

You will get back your 11 GIG and your lappy will not be filled with all the manufacturers bloat.

A little bit of work to do but I recon it would be worth it.

It maybe an idea to download the drivers for Win 10 before you begin but more than likely if they are not already there Win 10 will download them. Without you even knowing.

This is what I would recommend.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys!

It was a brand new lappy with 8.1 - I hadnt installed a thing, grabbed W10 and did the upgrade.

Then did a W10 "reset" to remove everything, bloat, etc.

So got the original Tosh 8.1 crap on a USB via their media creator, got W10 avail via any other PC so I thought the recovery partition was a waste.

The machine was only spec'd with a 128gb SSD, it was one of the cheapest 1080p IPS screened laptops with SSD I could find and Im quite impressed with it for £499

Back
Top Bottom