I like Windows 10.

Man of Honour
Oh come on, just because something is free it doesn't make it above valid criticism, especially Windows.

I'd happily pay for something better than Windows 10 in its current form :S

Contrary to the perception some might get from my posts I want to like 10 - the kernel generally is good, stability, threading and low level performance are mostly an improvement on previous OSes with some teething issues but nothing out of the ordinary compared to past releases. On paper the concept of the OS would be a massive improvement on what we've had before if it was properly executed.

I just have way too many issues with the shell layer of the OS which at best doesn't seem to know what it wants to be - any time they start unifying the different elements of the UI towards one common approach they suddenly decide to change direction and it all gets mixed up again for example you can right click to get a menu in different parts of the OS and get atleast 3 completely different style menus with completely different colour schemes, visual theme i.e. the menu borders and how the functionality of the menu works.

Caporegime
OP
I like it too, much better thought out than 8. Nearly everything I didn't like about 8 was removed.

This is after Glaucus/Elevon ranting at me for being inflexible and old after slating 8 for having a turd of a UI ;)

There's still a few odd issues, why they have a setting panel and a control panel seems unnecessary, surely they could be unified?

It doesn't even work that badly on a tablet, but thes more odd stuff in the tablet mode UI.

The Settings and Control Panel split works, if you put all the advanced settings on the control panel and leave the settings app for the commonly used stuff. But they haven't got that split right yet. Its getting better, but its not perfect. Back in the Previews the multiple screens settings and resolutions were on Control Panel which was stupid.

Soldato
I like it too, much better thought out than 8. Nearly everything I didn't like about 8 was removed.

This is after Glaucus/Elevon ranting at me for being inflexible and old after slating 8 for having a turd of a UI ;)

There's still a few odd issues, why they have a setting panel and a control panel seems unnecessary, surely they could be unified?

It doesn't even work that badly on a tablet, but thes more odd stuff in the tablet mode UI.

Some people are more flexible then others ;) , you are entitled to your opinion and glad you like it .

I like it (only WinME I did not like due to being so buggy).

:)

Soldato
It's fine but something called 'runtime broker' is murdering the CPU on my laptop and I have to kill it in task manager on every boot so I haven't bothered with the desktop yet.

Caporegime
OP
Runtime Broker is used by Metro apps so it could be a tile or something you have installed? A quick Google suggests disabling the "Show me tips about Windows" task in notifications.

Caporegime
Put me in the camp of neither liking nor disliking it. I do feel that it's very rough around the edges, tho, compared to previous releases.

It seems to be conflicted in a lot of ways as well. Obviously the product of a lot of compromise, and the end result is in some ways neither one thing nor the other. A mish-mash of competing and conflicting ideas.

Soldato
I would welcome some valid criticism :p.

Well it says it all that there's nothing what I would consider major wrong with it.

Valid nitpicks for me would be:

- The situation with automatic updates (but can be fixed)
- The bundling of certain apps (also can be fixed)
- The launch with regards to the servers getting hammered (will improve over time)

But they don't really sour the overall good experience.

Soldato
My only niggle is a minor video playback issue. Sometimes a YT video will freeze but the audio carries as normal, same thing with watching movies from any media player. Hopefully an update should fix this. Otherwise I'm really liking W10.

Soldato
Think it's great, and as with r3d zombie I've not had a problem with Windows since 7. Each step has ended up being good progress.

You will always get the vocal minority who convince those not able to form their own opinion that something is crap before they even try to find out themselves.

Soldato
So I finally got Windows 10 working last night with a fresh install. I like it on the whole.
- Aesthetically it's nice and modern, like Windows 8, but it's actually much more fluid and usable for desktops.
- The OS boots incredibly fast.
- They've finally fixed Sleep mode, so when the PC wakes, the mouse still works.
- Window control/snapping seems to be more intuitive.
- Edge seems like a huge improvement over IE, although I must admit I still prefer Chrome (if only because I can sign into it and it picks up all my favourites, usernames, favourites, etc from Google).
- The Action Centre feels a bit more useful now and shows notifications from more programs.
- Driver updates: apart from the initial problems I had with my upgrade, driver integration seems very fluid. I did a fresh install and Windows seemingly took care of updating drivers for all the hardware in the background without any interaction from me, and correctly.

A couple of gripes though:
- Everything's been "apperised" and it sometimes feels a bit like the "apps" are a bit superfluous. For instance, the System Settings appears to look a bit app-like - but in some areas, you go to advanced settings and get taken to a much more traditional Control Panel like screen. I think I'd rather just see the Control Panel all the time. But I guess this is more a comment on the way things are now, with tablets and smartphones having a larger market share. I think I just prefer "programs" :D
- Similarly, things like the Photos app are a bit annoying. I'd rather just view my pictures through Windows Photo Viewer, however I don't seem to be able to set this as the default program. I saw someone else had this issue in the Windows 10 thread, not sure how to get around it. I'll have to do some digging around.

On the whole though, well done Microsoft.

I like it overall, but the drivers and Blue Screens are issues for me. Granted it's only BSOD twice on my main PC, and one of these was due to the Overclock at the time (I believe) and once on my laptop, but I'm not sure how stable it is. Edge was running both times.

Another issue is that Supcom (1+2) can't got dualscreen without odd issues (stuck on low resolution on main screen, nothing on seconds screen, turning off second screen fixes the resolution on the main screen), hopefully NVidia will fix this with drivers.

Back
Top Bottom