Unhappy ? you probably live in London then.

Soldato
I would move back to Cardiff in a flash, there and Bristol are my favourite cities.

I like trips to London have friends there, they moved further out just for a garden. Apparently it's worth the extra cash and the longer journey. I agree fully. As a bonus for me to get to where they are now I don't have to use the tube WHOOP. I dislike the tube.

Which part of Cardiff did you live in?

It was number 80 out of 130 in the Rightmove 2015 list, which doesn't seem that great.

rpg

rpg

Associate
London is a cesspit! No culture anymore, far too densely populated and overpriced/overvalued as a place to live. Wouldn't dream of bringing up a family in London.

Suspended
I'm not unhappy, but it would be nice to live somewhere else, but I've grown up here and it's what I'm used too... If i had the money I would move away somewhere nice and quiet as I'm getting older now, but I got my friends here the things we do etc... it's made it what it is.

It's the murders that happen that gets me, another youth from Camberwell died at the weekend. There is no need for this mayhem.

Last edited:
Soldato
I said the residents were insular in that they don't see much of what's going on in the rest of the country and don't care.

What has living in Germany got to do with this thread ?

Who has posted an aggressive post ?

LOL you can say that about people from anywhere in the country/world.

Soldato
Problem is most towns in the UK now just consist of the same boring low/mid range shops and chains - whsmith, small Next, Primark, Currys, car phone warehouse etc etc... Mixed in with half a dozen charity shops and a few electronics rental places like Brighthouse. It's why internet shopping has taken off so well, there is **** all in most towns now. London has such a massive variety of stuff in such close proximity you can almost certainly find a shop that sells anything that is sold online (albeit normally more expensive).

That's why I rather like my new town, it has many independent shops, the high street is thriving and there is a daily market, quite a big one. We have a lot of decent bars and a wide choice of restaurants and a castle. Combine that with dirt cheap housing and I'm quite content to not have to live in the capital for "the lifestyle".

Soldato
Some parts of London are fantastic. Others not so much. I see that Harrow is listed as one of the worst areas of London and I can believe that. We lived in Pinner for a few years which is right next door. While Pinner was lovely at the time we could see just how bad Harrow was getting so moved away 7 years ago. When I visit my wife's family there nowadays I know we made the right decision. It's a pit.

But other parts of London can be lovely. It's such a large place that there are very likely to be "regional" variations. When I was young places like Harrow weren't really considered to be London. But nowadays anything inside the M25 is deemed to be.

I'm from Harrow and can confirm. It is a nice town but it's inhabitants have changed greatly over the past 10 years. Can't stand living here now. Have long been intending to move to Watford and plan to do so late next year as my mates left Harrow to go there. They've settled in a lovely area.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love living in London and have absolutely no reason to comment on where others choose to live. Quite why some have such strong anti-London views is beyond me.

Soldato
Having lived here for nigh on 30 years I'd say London is very much worth living in at least once in your life if you've not lived here before but I can see if you've had that experience of open spaces and countryside all your life then it would certainly not be quite the same - unless you can afford to live next to somewhere like Richmond Park!

I would definitely like to live somewhere quiet when older (like Freefaller does!) both for the fact you get so much more for your money and the living is just healthier (air quality for one thing in London is horrid in most places).

A friend who'd also lived all his life in London moved a few years ago to his wife's part of Yorkshire and they have now got a 5 bedroom house for a paltry £220k odd in a tiny village in the countryside yet are still not too far from civilization!

Caporegime
London Transport is pretty naff - no 24h service, but massively overpriced is the main issue.
Recently back to see Mum and having to budget so much for Oyster card top ups or travel cards is mental... Just got back from Berlin... That is how to run transport... Hard to compare though considering they had a chance to rebuild from the ground up.

Lived in London 25+ Years. Brilliant city. Everything you could want or need for every taste and perversion. Wouldn't want to bring up a family unless in the suburbs but other than that it really is perfect. Loads of job opportunities.

Whatever floats your boat i guess! IF you don't live there chances are you don't want to, otherwise you probably would be already.

Back
Top Bottom