Anyone else have a stupid wife

Man of Honour
No. Juno was the goddess of wealth because she was the goddess of fertility, and fertility and wealth are much the same thing in an agricultural society.

If that was the case, their goddess of wealth would have been Ceres since she was associated with fertility in agricultural terms. Juno was associated with marriage and childbearing, but the aspect of her that was associated with money was Juno Moneta, an aspect specifically about money.

It had nothing to do with women's control of the domestic domain, nor did Roman women have any special control of the finances: the men worked so they would often gave money to their wives to pay for things, no more.

Yes more. Traditionally Roman women generally ran households, which included day to day control of household assets, hiring staff, artisans, etc, buying slaves...everything that was needed. The men were traditionally supposed to be handling politics and business, not managing the household. In some cases, the man might not even be there (e.g. he might be serving a term of office that kept him away from home). Sometimes women owned the house, the land, businesses, etc, although until the later republican period women weren't officially allowed to run a business directly and had to use a male proxy.

Soldato
I'm getting a little bit hacked off with my partner persisting in talking to me whilst I'm trying to watch the news. I've tried reasoning with her and even dropping subtle hints e.g. "For God's sake woman will you shut up for a minute so I can watch the ******* news" however there has been no visible (or audible) improvement. Clearly it's time to man up and give the OP's approach a go. I've managed to obtain the details of her personal bank account, so how much should I fine her? And should it be per news item ruined or a flat rate for each news programme?

Leaving BBC News 24 on for a few hours and staring fixedly at the screen whilst she makes ill informed comments and asks why we can't watch something else could be a real money spinner....

Associate
I wish some posters would stop skim reading - if she was talking to her mother she would be at least 120 years old (The Mother that is for those that skim read)

Please explain the maths you did on this one. Op is 71, lets assume his wife is a similar age. Why would her mother have to be 50 to have a child?

Man of Honour
Please explain the maths you did on this one. Op is 71, lets assume his wife is a similar age. Why would her mother have to be 50 to have a child?

You are aware you are talking to the OP and therefore he's probably in quite a strong position to know how old his wife's mother would be if she was still around.

Soldato
Don't understand why everyone is going in on DXP. His wife knows that if the call is longer than 60 minutes there is a charge, therefore she should know by now that when it gets to about 55 minutes, hang up and call back.

It's a stupid charge.

People on these forums are very quick to judge.

Soldato
A stupid charge it is.

But

His methods of education and comfortable internet flaming of his wife do not project a happy trusting relationship.

google positive reinforcement, that might work better than abuse and or stealing

Soldato
A stupid charge it is.

But

His methods of education and comfortable internet flaming of his wife do not project a happy trusting relationship.

google positive reinforcement, that might work better than abuse and or stealing

Wow. Some guy vents about his missus on an internet forum (GD no less) and suddenly the armchair shrinks know everything about him and his relationship.

Soldato
Not at all.

Would you say/do this with your significant other?

Post this on a discussion forum and you will get discussion/opinion.

Along with the trolls

Soldato
It's a stupid charge.

No it's not.

Just because you get free calls doesn't mean they don't cost anything to anyone. A call still uses up resources and those resources still need to be paid for by the telecoms provider through the revenue from their packages. It's to stop people leaving their phones connected to use it like a baby monitor or something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom