• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

normal for 980ti?

Associate
iv had a inno3d hybrid black 980ti and im not happy with how its performing. iv noticed that im not getting good fps in witcher 3.. i would have thought i should be able to max this game out at 60fps ultra on 1080p at least with no drops at all..but this is not the case.. i tested 4k firstly and on ultra i bearly get 17fps when out in the open. on 1440 im not getting past 30 on ultra....on the other hand it runs borderlands prequal at 4k with everything on max apart from physix witch is on high. why am i getting poor performance in witcher 3? is this normal for the card? confused

Soldato
Does it have an option about hair works or something. Disable that and try. If I recall it crippled most cards but you should see a massive improvement with it off.
It may have been as much as 50% performance hit at higher resolutions if I recall.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
k i no somthing is wrong now because yesterday i was playing borderlands prequal on 4k and it was smooth as butter..its a stuttery mess now...and even with hari works of at 1440p im only getting 40fps...is there a setting in nvidia control panel or somthing that could be doing this...it was not like this yesterday for sure

Associate
Well it seems like you just turn everything on ultra and think it'll just work, even the top card available can't do everything. What's the rest of your pc? At what resolution are you playing? 1080p, 1440p, 4k, I'm confused!

Associate
I have everything maxed including Hairworks in The Witcher 3 and get between 40-50fps. Disabling that gets me a solid 60fps at 1440p

Hairworks just cripples it.

Associate
OP
not sure what was going on but it must have been a driver problem..since i updated geforce experince..everythings running how it should. borderlands prequal is smooth again at 4 k.. and witcher 3 is running properly again. hope it stays that way.

Associate
OP
Have you tried setting everything to default in the control panel or using other drivers or just reinstalling drivers.

this. but i never used the driver remover tool ..i just used geforce experince to express install updated driver over the preivous one..and its working fine now.

Associate
Yesterday I had a GeForce Experience update appear bottom right of screen saying 'new optimal game settings have been applied' or something like that.

Anyway, I tried to launch Skyrim shortly after and it refused to launch because it had changed the resolution to something ridiculous with DSR for my 1080p TV. I had to go in and change it back.

Perhaps you had something similar OP?

Soldato
not sure what was going on but it must have been a driver problem..since i updated geforce experince..everythings running how it should. borderlands prequal is smooth again at 4 k.. and witcher 3 is running properly again. hope it stays that way.

New Geforce experience with new game settings plus the new Nvidia drivers has given me a massive uplift in fps in W3.

W3 doesn't like Hairworks, I just use it on Geralt. I also find turning Power Management to max in Nvidia control panel helps. It's worth looking at your SSAO/HBAO setting in W3, Nvidia usually wants to set this to HBAO but I find it has a massive FPS hit so I use SSAO.

Andi.

Associate
Using the latest Nvidia drivers and GeForce Experience settings I get around 50fps, sometimes a little lower, other times 60fps in 1440p.

This is with Nvidia hairworks set to all.

Back
Top Bottom