What do people use for O.S on there HTPC

Associate
Hey all finally going to take the plunge today and get an HTPC for the TV downstairs living room.What do people use for there operating system.Now browsing the web exc won't be an issue Cause we have other devices for like HTPC in bedroom laptop exc and we download on them devices also.The HTPC will only be mainly used for playing content from NAS from whats been downloaded off other devices. And played on The NUC downstairs so im not sure to go with windows or another O.S. Im not familar with Linux but don't wanna spend money on windows when there's not going to benefit if i went and got a none Windows System maybe i could spend more on the CPU pre built system PLEASE HELP!!! LOL

Associate
OP
I understand windows would be better you have more options. But do you really need windows to play 20gig MKV files and few 3D films in HD audio? we have 2 devices already with windows on do we really need a third?

Soldato
Go openelec then, then install the plex addon. Honestly with a good skin (aeon mq5) I think it's far superior to plex interface, plex has its place but for me that's just in devices that need transcoding.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply Ferret. All im after really is to play my 20gig plus 1080p movies with HD audio and few 3d films. i HAVE AN htpc which cost quite a bit and my mrs laptop which both have windows on so i dont see the benefit from having another HTPC with windows on cause we won't be browsing or downloading on it. This is what im after Our HTPC and laptop download exc and then ill be getting a NAS for storage and then want something for our TV downstairs to show the Content And play everything without issues

Permabanned
The reason I went with Windows is:
- It's what I know
- It's reassuring to have a backup fully-functional PC
- I don't ever want to be in the position where I can't do something because I tried to save a few quid
- I don't really care about the cost, I want Windows, it doesn't cost a bomb, I buy it

Associate
OP
I agree Billy.But im only after a media player we have 2 devices with windows on i don't think id benefit with a 3rd device with it on. Cost isn't a issue

Man of Honour
Windows it's the only OS to support everything.
On 8.1 will upgrade to w10 though, just waiting to see if nowTV update their app to work with w10.

Soldato
I have Windows as I like the flexibility of it. I know it inside out and it's handy to have as a computer on the TV if I wanna play music on youtube and stuff. I know other OS's can do that but I just prefer the windows way lol.

Back
Top Bottom