My rather long report from my Nurburgring 2-day Trackday last week.

Soldato
Best post in motors for a while and the guy gets suspended for one swear word?

Top work forum moderators, top work.

Standard practice here these days as common sense becomes a blurred line. Even I appreciate that in his opening sentence he declares it's a copy / paste so it's not like he wrote the naughty word out, fully aware of his intentions, he just forgot to sanitise it.

Man of Honour
He'll be back very shortly. It was a fair suspension. It was consistent with the rules.

I'm sure he made a mistake, we all do, it just makes it easier for the moderating team to follow the rules rather than applying subjective takes on each case. However people need to take care, whether copying and pasting or not.

Can we let the thread progress please - if you want to take issue with it feel free to contact me.

Associate
Great post, thanks for sharing. I've only ever done the Touristenfahrten at the 'Ring but having read this if love to do a track day there if I ever get a dedicated track car.

Just out of interest, is the Michaela you refer to (with the sandwiches) the owner of the Gastehaus Fuchsrohre?

Nigel has asked me to say that indeed it is the same Michaela

He'll be back Soon

Slim

Man of Honour
Great videos - always wanted to do the ring proper in a golf but never got around to it/don't have the driving skills.

Soldato
Hi Nigel,

I was also at DN12 last week, but as a passenger in my mates black 997 GT3 CS. We saw your Golf a few times on track (as we pulled over to let you by!) and wished we had been in the F1 paddock so we could have come over for a closer look. What is the engine pushing? Is it still the 1.8 16v but turbo'd or a 2.0 20V unit?

It was my first trip to the ring and from what I can tell I was very fortunate to experience it in such a way; the longer track (including the short GP), lovely weather, a very quiet track and only two red flags that I was aware of! Sometimes we didn't see another car around us on the track for minutes at a time. My friend has been twice before and had his second lot of tuition with a English guy who now runs a B&B there (Martin?). Was quite a transformation going out with my mate once he had been out all of the 2nd morning with him, so much faster!

Shame about the two GT3's that got bashed. I saw the black 996 with its crumpled front end who had come off in the mini carousel and from what I understand the other was a white 991 that span in the fast forest section leading to the first carousel and got properly damaged, but was dealt with under yellows?

The only issue I had was that I started to feel queezy after a few laps in the car! I've haven't been travel sick since I was a little kid, but found that it gradually built up all day. Spoke to Martin about it and he said it is quite common for passengers. Its not like I was looking down trying to read a book and was always aware of where the car was going next, but I guess its the fact you are not personally making the actions to move the car and there are just a few corners and altitude changes!. I'll get some pills if I go again!

However, the awesome Argentinian fillet streak on the hot stone at the Pistenklause restaurant soon sorted me out though...on both nights :)

Associate
OP
OK, first off. My apologies for the `swearing`. As I said, it was a copy / paste from another forum where I`m a Moderator and I don`t swear there either, I just put the first letter, some ###`s and the last letter. Unfortunately, that was picked up as me trying to get around the swear filter on this site, which I assure you it wasn`t, it was just a simple oversight on my part. :(

I`ve never been suspended before...

Anyway, lesson learned ;)

Thanks for the positive comments ! It`s pleasing to know people actually enjoy my rambling :D:)

Really good read i enjoyed that, i'd love to do a proper track day there rather than the 'take your life into your own hands' tourist days i've done.

I have driven around 1,600 TF laps. The mental weekends in the middle of summer are totally different things to quiet midweek ones. Each good in their own way.

I find trackdays like this, allow you to drive without constantly moving over / around other stuff. OK, you obviously get traffic, which you`ll always get, but there aren`t bikes zooming away on the straights and crawling through the corners or finding a coach just in the Foxhole compression !

It`s a very different atmosphere and experience, but if you are there with a similar paced car, you can have some truly memorable laps.

There's a kid with a "Time Attack" Lotus that could do with asking you some questions hah

Good write up!
I`ve tried, but apparently you can`t beat a bit of theory and zero practical experience. :D

Shame this bloke has been suspended, it's a good read! Car would look ace without the aero, but I appreciate it's doing a job so, function over form:)
MeAnBoY, I think that`s the nicest way anyone has ever said they think my car looks **** :)

Hi Nigel,

I was also at DN12 last week, but as a passenger in my mates black 997 GT3 CS. We saw your Golf a few times on track (as we pulled over to let you by!) and wished we had been in the F1 paddock so we could have come over for a closer look. What is the engine pushing? Is it still the 1.8 16v but turbo'd or a 2.0 20V unit?

It was my first trip to the ring and from what I can tell I was very fortunate to experience it in such a way; the longer track (including the short GP), lovely weather, a very quiet track and only two red flags that I was aware of! Sometimes we didn't see another car around us on the track for minutes at a time. My friend has been twice before and had his second lot of tuition with a English guy who now runs a B&B there (Martin?). Was quite a transformation going out with my mate once he had been out all of the 2nd morning with him, so much faster!

Shame about the two GT3's that got bashed. I saw the black 996 with its crumpled front end who had come off in the mini carousel and from what I understand the other was a white 991 that span in the fast forest section leading to the first carousel and got properly damaged, but was dealt with under yellows?

The only issue I had was that I started to feel queezy after a few laps in the car! I've haven't been travel sick since I was a little kid, but found that it gradually built up all day. Spoke to Martin about it and he said it is quite common for passengers. Its not like I was looking down trying to read a book and was always aware of where the car was going next, but I guess its the fact you are not personally making the actions to move the car and there are just a few corners and altitude changes!. I'll get some pills if I go again!

However, the awesome Argentinian fillet streak on the hot stone at the Pistenklause restaurant soon sorted me out though...on both nights :)
I came to the TF paddock on Thrusday, mainly to give some other friends passenger laps, but ended up spending very little time in there. You could have pulled into the F1 pits if you wanted, then gone back out again, but I can understand that probably wasn`t obvious.

It`s a 2.016V ABF Engine that I`ve added a Volvo V70 TD04HL-16T Turbo, as you can see running around 0.8 Bar. All DIY Tubular manifold, 3" exhaust, I made the Fibreglass wings, diffuser, Aluminium side skirts, plywood splitter etc.

Martin runs the Burgstube were we were staying. Knows his way round that`s for sure and is a good instructor. I`m not surprised your mate beneffited from it.

The Black 996 was a couple of French guys. I was chatting to them on Wednesday, seemed really pleasant. Just span coming out of the Mini Karussel and hit the armco. The other was my friend Anthony, got a wheel on the grass at around 140mph, car snapped round too quickly for him to save and it made a bit of a mess unfortunately. I think that was a Yellow flag, but someone spun at Weirseifen in the afternoon. Across the track and couldn`t move the car, hence the 2nd Red :(

Funny you should mention the car sickness. I get that too. I`m fine for a few laps, but then need to stop for some fresh air. I can lap all day long as a driver, doing several back-to-back flying laps, but put me in the passenger seat and I`m not so good. Funny isn`t it.

Back
Top Bottom