Belgian Grand Prix 2015, Spa-Francorchamps - Race 11/19

Man of Honour
8jruwb5.png

Spa-Francorchamps

Belgium's Spa-Francorchamps circuit is among the most historic on the Formula One calendar, having hosted a (non-championship) Grand Prix as long ago as 1924, and remains one of the most popular venues with drivers and fans alike.

Run on narrow public roads, the original Spa layout was an amazing 14.9 kilometres long and notoriously dangerous. The lap distance was reduced slightly over the years, with some corners eased, but when the 'old' circuit staged its final Grand Prix in 1970 it still measured just over 14 kilometres and remained staggeringly quick - Chris Amon set that year's fastest lap at an average speed of just under 245 km/h.

Spa did not return to the calendar until 1983 and then in drastically revised form, with lap distance cut to just under seven kilometres. Somehow, though, the circuit's magic was retained. Around two thirds of the lap used the original layout and the legendary Eau Rouge corner remained intact. Only the new Bus Stop chicane on the run down to La Source drew criticism.

More than twenty years on Spa remains the longest circuit on the calendar. Its mix of long straights and challenging fast corners, coupled with its picturesque setting, means that most drivers still rank it among their favourite tracks.

The weather is still notoriously changeable (it can often be simultaneously raining on one part of the track and dry on another) and Eau Rouge, with its high speed and sudden elevation change, maintains its reputation as one of Formula One racing's most technically demanding corners.

Such is the challenge of Spa that only the truly great drivers can really claim to have mastered it. In fact just six men have won the race more than twice - Juan Manuel Fangio (three times), Damon Hill (three times), Kimi Raikkonen (four times), Jim Clark (four times), Ayrton Senna (five times) and Michael Schumacher (six times).

TV Times

Sky:
ys5WHzC.png

BBC:
[to be added]

Track Diagram & Information

cCO7gR9.png

Weather Forecast

QL0KvYc.png

2014 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom.../Belgium_2014_-_Nico_Rosberg_onboard_lap.html

2014 Race Edit

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2015/3/Belgium_2014_-_race_edit.html

Belgium Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2015/8/belgium-preview-quotes.html

WDC Standings

ToO88xh.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

ggnAEDD.png

Practice 1

jfudeHv.png

Practice 2

EcowVAj.png

Practice 3

yu8La9f.png

Qualifying

ekbveJt.png

Race

EqhxpzB.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Arai apparently saying the Honda engine was way ahead of Renault in Hungary and will be aiming to match Ferrari in Spa..... also said the reason it wasn't seen was the Mclaren chassis was holding the engine back massively in Hungary.

I actually see this as a pretty big turning point in the Mclaren/Honda relationship potentially, up till now Honda have been fairly quiet while for a long time Mclaren have been saying their chassis is up there with RBR but the engine is holding them back. They appear to be getting into the "it's the other guys fault" slinging match stage of partnership.

Ultimately it sounds bad any way I can really think about it, the chassis is crap the engine is better than we think and Mclaren have been pushing Honda under the bus effectively all season as a result, Honda won't be happy and Mclaren would have made their third awful car in a row. On the other hand Mclaren could be right which would basically make the claims of Honda being ahead of Renault already and aiming for Ferrari at Spa incredibly inaccurate, which means they are full of **** and Mclaren won't be happy they are being blamed regardless, let alone if it is almost entirely in the engine.

Fact is that ignoring the 5th, that package was 2 seconds off the pace of Ferrari for most of the race, it was fairly close to 2 seconds off RBR and regardless of if that is in the chassis, engine or a fair mix I can't see one upgrade making a monumental difference.

We also have the issue that with new parts comes the potential for new bits to break. As yet the 'new' engine, as in the Canada spec, hasn't lasted more than one race weekend at Hungary level of performance and then at a not very heavy on the power track. Where they are at for Spa and in the race or two after when they get a chance to tweak software further will be very interesting but I don't see them suddenly jumping up to even Williams level.

Permabanned
Greatest track in zee World :D

Hoping that Ferrari have made some good development over the holiday. Do we know which teams have used any tokens during this break?

Soldato
Greatest track in zee World :D

Hoping that Ferrari have made some good development over the holiday. Do we know which teams have used any tokens during this break?

I believe Honda have made some changes and uses some tokens.

Isn't it at this race that new rules are coming in regarding starts?

Indeed it is. Less assistance from engineers/ECU's and more onus on the drivers.

Soldato
I'm hoping Merc haven't got the issues sorted despite being a Hamilton fan. The last 2 races where Merc have been slow off the line have ended up being brilliant.

Looking forward to seeing how far McLaren/Honda have improved over the break.

Soldato
I'm hoping Merc haven't got the issues sorted despite being a Hamilton fan. The last 2 races where Merc have been slow off the line have ended up being brilliant.

I hope so too, more raced like the last two please!

Really glad its back, it's felt like a long break this year, and it's Spa so can't really ask for much more! :D

Soldato
Arai apparently saying the Honda engine was way ahead of Renault in Hungary and will be aiming to match Ferrari in Spa..... also said the reason it wasn't seen was the Mclaren chassis was holding the engine back massively in Hungary.

I actually see this as a pretty big turning point in the Mclaren/Honda relationship potentially, up till now Honda have been fairly quiet while for a long time Mclaren have been saying their chassis is up there with RBR but the engine is holding them back. They appear to be getting into the "it's the other guys fault" slinging match stage of partnership.

Ultimately it sounds bad any way I can really think about it, the chassis is crap the engine is better than we think and Mclaren have been pushing Honda under the bus effectively all season as a result, Honda won't be happy and Mclaren would have made their third awful car in a row. On the other hand Mclaren could be right which would basically make the claims of Honda being ahead of Renault already and aiming for Ferrari at Spa incredibly inaccurate, which means they are full of **** and Mclaren won't be happy they are being blamed regardless, let alone if it is almost entirely in the engine.

Fact is that ignoring the 5th, that package was 2 seconds off the pace of Ferrari for most of the race, it was fairly close to 2 seconds off RBR and regardless of if that is in the chassis, engine or a fair mix I can't see one upgrade making a monumental difference.

We also have the issue that with new parts comes the potential for new bits to break. As yet the 'new' engine, as in the Canada spec, hasn't lasted more than one race weekend at Hungary level of performance and then at a not very heavy on the power track. Where they are at for Spa and in the race or two after when they get a chance to tweak software further will be very interesting but I don't see them suddenly jumping up to even Williams level.

Do you have a link for that?

I don't see that the chassis is holding back the straight line speed.

Caporegime
If anything I'd have thought it the other way round. A track like the Hungaroring doesn't rely on outright power and would be more biased towards a car with good mechanical grip, good aero and less on overall engine power. If that is indeed the case then it shows that McLaren aren't a million miles away on downforce levels (although they'll likely be running a little less to keep the straight line speeds up with less power) and if Honda can increase the power then McLaren can add downforce. If the Honda really is on par with the Renault then Spa won't be the utter disaster many McLaren fans are expecting it to be, Honda token spend or not.

Back
Top Bottom