Life dilemma!

Associate
An opportunity may arise where I can take a job that is term time only, obviously the wage is severely reduced and we would struggle financially until both kids are at school and my wife upped her hours at work.
If you don't think that the current job is going to get any better nor more flexible, then my suggestion would be to seriously think about the new job. Budget with it in mind, see where you can cut back on your outgoings, and maybe give that budget a trial run for a few months. Worst case you'll have a chunk of money that can go into savings, and it'll give you an idea of the things you can and can't live without.

If you feel that money's going to be tight is there anything you can do to supplement your income? Do you have any skills that you can employ on a freelance basis from home?

Also worth bearing in mind that while you're in the new job there's nothing to stop you looking around for something better paid that's still close to home (or that is at least more flexible regarding working arrangements).

Associate
I recently handed my notice with no new job to go to as I was not happy with the work life balance, the work or the stress of the job. As soon as I made the decision the difference in me was immediate, I'm happier in work, the little issues remain little issues not huge obstacles and most importantly my relationship with my three year old improved 10 fold.

Risky approach but with a 3 month notice I was confident I would find something ... and I have. Closer to home, less hours, same pay and a job I'm really excited to do.

Don
OP
If you feel that money's going to be tight is there anything you can do to supplement your income? Do you have any skills that you can employ on a freelance basis from home?

I do actually a lot of computer services jobs in my spare time and this was one of the things I may have started to expand other than my village.

This. Having lived in this area for 16 years I have always had an hours travel to work. Bizarrely though it has been from where I live to the the Northallerton area !

Tesco?!

One thing I will say is that your career will likely span a long, long period of time, and various opportunities will arise during it. Therefore, taking what might seem a step backwards in the short term may open up new doors later down the line. Whereas, your kids will only be young once and you may feel more fulfilled spending quality time with them at this stage.

That is indeed my thinking, I don't want lots of job shifting on my CV though so I'm conscious of that but in theory I'm relatively young still :D

I think we're pretty close to each other, or have been... know that feeling.

Yeah I think I sold something to you many moons ago :p

This isn't a dilemma for me. I always choose to be happy.

True, but if that was truly the case I'd quit working altogether :p I feel I have a duty to provide after bringing two kids into the world so don't want to be reckless but something has to change for the greater good otherwise I'm just going to get stuck in a big rut with no way out!

Again thanks for the responses, it's been a great help.

Soldato
More time with kids might sound great, but with less money, you may find yourself experiencing more stress. That will make the home environment less pleasant in the long run. So I think you need to decide whether you can truly be happy with a more basic life.

Personally I think I'd rather work hard and give my family a more secure financial position. Is more time with the kids actually a good thing? Children (even small children) need some space for themselves to grow their independence. If you're around a lot more, you may damage that growth.

Soldato
Step 1: Don't have kids
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

In seriousness though, I don't know how some people do large commutes in general, let alone with the stress of losing time with your family. You've mentioned it's hard to get a job locally, so the next logical step is to consider moving, which in itself is going to be a pain.

Back
Top Bottom