UK Reserve Forces

Associate
Howdy all!

Anyone on here involved in any of the UK armed forces reserves?

I've been looking into it quite a bit recently, and I am very interested in it all. just wondering if anyone can shed some light onto the life style and general outlay of what happens when you attend meets etc?

Soldato
I would hazard a guess that for one, they are not "meets" and two, you are required to train to an acceptable standard to be shipped out to which ever third world **** hole we are bombing this week to be used as target practice.

Soldato
All I would say is if you have any slight blemish on your medical record you might as well not bother.

I applied a few years back and all was good, I was training hard and hitting the required physical tasks for entry, only to be rejected on past medical grounds because of an operation I had years before to correct acid reflux, which had totally "fixed" me with no ongoing issues. I was the fittest I had been since I was in my teens.....Utter tosh!

Also don't take the entry requirements for granted - Unless you already "train" to that kind of standard it takes time and effort to get to the physical fitness level required.

Associate
I would hazard a guess that for one, they are not "meets" and two, you are required to train to an acceptable standard to be shipped out to which ever third world **** hole we are bombing this week to be used as target practice.

LOL nice analogy.

Guy I work with did it for a bit and hated it. Dont expect it to be easy, apparently its just as bad as the full time Army apart from you just do less hours of it. Also as above, any medical problems current or previous and its pretty much a no go.

Caporegime
you might well find that these 'meets' as you put it vary considerably between different units

you'd be best off making contact with your various local units and taking a look around - perhaps try to find a recruitment event where a bunch of them will be present

you should be able to get in contact and go along on a drill night (usually a Tuesday or Wednesday evening) and at least chat with someone involved with recruiting + perhaps get a glimpse at what they get up to

browse arrse.co.uk you'll find a lot of information on there just reading the forums

Soldato
Check out arrse for better info mate, or look through the Brit mil thread here. Or else your going to get answers like above

Usually it's a minimum few weekends a year, depending on exercises and your role.

I believe they also run "come and see" days but you're best checking arrse.

-edit- dowie beat me

Soldato
for a start theres three service reserves you can join, worth looking at all of them to see what suits you best.

And then join the RAF reserves as neither digging holes to sleep in or living on ships is fun :p

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah, I was in the TA in a logistic unit from 19 to 24 before I injured my knee (totally unrelated).

Really enjoyed it, learnt lots of new stuff (welding, machining etc) that I've used lots since and the money wasn't too bad either. Had a bit of trouble with my employer whilst I was signed up, but a visit from my CO with a TU rep in tow sorted it out pretty quickly ;)

Underboss
The Army website has a fair amount of info on the reserves at the moment, there is a big recruitment push with Army 2020 coming up.

Check there for units and locations etc, get on Arrse for insider info etc

Back
Top Bottom