Port Mobile Number to VoIP service?

Soldato
I will be moving to Oz for at least 18 months, but would like to keep my UK Mobile number active in case I come back.

What would be ideal is if I could port my mobile number to a VoIP service so that people in the UK can call my mobile at UK rates (with some charge to me).
I know google voice allows this for US mobile numbers, do any of you know of such a service for UK mobile numbers?

Cheers, OCUK. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Skype Personal Number?

About a fiver a month, you get a local rate UK number (i.e. London 020 number), which can be answered via Skype, or forwarded to your Aus mobile (for a charge)

Edit - just missed that big bit out about keeping your number.

Soldato
OP
Edit - just missed that big bit out about keeping your number.

Thanks, this is the stumbling block. I paid quite a bit for my mobile number and would hate for it go to waste. I might have to just take out a very cheap contract and set up divert on an iPhone left in the UK.

Soldato
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your number? Do you feel it was worth it? Do people comment on your number?

That sounds like a plan - cheapest contract, leave it plugged in somewhere, done

Soldato
OP
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your number? Do you feel it was worth it? Do people comment on your number?

That sounds like a plan - cheapest contract, leave it plugged in somewhere, done

I paid £200 for the number. It's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's the most I've ever spend on vanity ID ha. It's easy for people to remember though which is why I bought it. 0777- -0-000. :)

Caporegime
You can't port a number designated as being for mobile use to a non-mobile provider. You'd have to forward it and keep a £5 a month SIM active or something.

Soldato
OP
You can't port a number designated as being for mobile use to a non-mobile provider. You'd have to forward it and keep a £5 a month SIM active or something.

Yeah, I think that is looking like the case. I'll leave a phone on mains supply in a relative's house in the UK I think. :)

Caporegime
You don't need to leave a phone powered up if you key in a network level divert when unavailable. How do you think you still receive voicemail when your phone is off?

Soldato
OP
I don't normally dial numbers but I do tend to memorise important mobiles numbers in case my phone dies/lost/stolen and I need to call someone urgently.

It's also easy to give out over the phone to someone or in a noisy bar. I like the way it looks on my CV with the perfect email address. :)

Back
Top Bottom